The Tower Locke Park, Barnsley, UK
3 exposures, merged together in Photomatix Pro and processed LR4. ISO100, 14mm @ f11. Canon 7d with a EFs 10-22mm lens
The original land for Locke Park was donated to Barnsley in 1861 by Phoebe, widow of the renowned railway engineer Joseph Locke (1805-1860), educated at Barnsley Grammar School, apprentice of George Stephenson, and engineer to the Grand Junction Railway. In 1874 Phoebe Locke's sister, Sarah McCreery, donated a further 20 acres in memory of her sister, who had died in 1866. She also commissioned Richard Phené Spiers to design a tower combining a memorial and pleasure observatory, the land and tower costing over £11,000. Spiers was a leading architectural teacher in the later C19, being Master of Architecture at the Royal Academy Schools, and a respected scholar. Work of excavating the tower foundations began in 1875; the contractors were Messrs Robinson and Son of Barnsley. A contemporary account describes the foundations as 9ft deep and 41 ft diameter, of solid concrete interlaced with rows of strong pit wire. The tower of approximately 70ft (21m) had a weather vane at the apex of the lantern with Sarah McCreery's monogram.