Estacion Alameda opened in 1885, with the building designed by Gustave Eiffel in 1897, and its metallic structure built by the French firm Scheider of Le Creusot. It was declared National Monument in 1983 by the government, protected by law against being demolished or remodeled. It has long been a reference point for travellers and locals; it is so well known that it gave the name to the municipality and commune where it is located, Estación Central.
It has experienced a revival as the government railway Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado has been modernized to restore the bygone appeal for train travel. These efforts have met with moderate success.
It is an important hub for public transportation, with a Santiago Metro station and three intercity bus terminals within walking distance. Many local bus lines stop at the station and a medium-sized shopping center is adjacent.
The nearby San Borja Bus Terminal is within walking distance and connected by a medium-sized complex of shopping centers.