The Cadillac Palace Theatre is operated by Broadway In Chicago, a Nederlander Presentation. It is located in the Chicago Loop. The theatre originally opened in 1926 as the New Palace Theatre. It was built at a cost of $12 million as part of the Eitel Block Project. In 1984 the theatre was renamed the Bismarck Theatre and turned into a rock venue. In 1999, it was renovated and renamed the Cadillac Palace Theatre after Cadillac purchased naming rights to the venue. It has maximum capacity of 2,344 people. The theatre is currently operated by Broadway In Chicago which has allowed for more Broadway hits to tour through Chicago causing a great positive economic impact on the city. An interesting historical fact is that during World War II, the United States government went around to most theaters and confiscated all the brass. Brass was melted down and used for ammunition, shells, etc. At the time, the owners of the Palace Theatre painted all the brass in the theater white, so that when the government came in, they were tricked into thinking the theater contained no brass. The brass was left this way and generally forgotten about until the recent renovation of the theater, when the paint was scraped off and the rare brass ornamentation was rediscovered and restored to its original state.