First World War Memorial, St Mary’s Church, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

North Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Cannon Street. Front Panel: "To the Glory of God and in Affectionate Memory of the Men of St Mary’s Parish and Congregation who gave their lives for God, King and Country in the Great War 1914-1918". Stone cross unveiled 24th November 1921 by Lieutenant-Colonel Christopher Middlemass Davidson, dedicated by Bishop of Dover. Urban, World War I (WWI) History, Travel, and Tourism.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (5)

John Latter on February 25, 2013

The Church of St Mary the Virgin is on the other side of Dieu Stone Lane, out-of-shot to the right. Behind the war memorial is the new Parish Hall. The Keep of Dover Castle is on the skyline, right of the monument. the Victoria Park terrace is on the far right, mid-way between the top of the wall and the skyline.

Christopher Middlemass Davidson

Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Middlemass Davidson died on 5th June 1922, at the age of 80. His home was at 14 Victoria Park, Dover. He was a member of HM King’s Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms from 5th May 1889 until his death. His will was proved in September 1922 at GBP 7,644.

He was born on 6th May 1843 and became an Ensign 4th Foot on 26th February 1862. On 19th March 1866 he was a Lieutenant, between 21st April 1875 and 22nd June 1876 an Adjutant of the Auxiliary Forces, and between 24th July 1868 to 1st January 1869 he was an Adjutant. He was made Captain of the 4th Regiment of Foot on 23rd June 1875, and Captain of the 104th Regiment of Foot on 23rd October 1875. He became Major of the Royal Muster Fusiliers on 1st July 1881, and retired as honourable Lieutenant Colonel on 10th June 1882. In 1904 he became a Dover Town Councillor.

Bishop of Dover

In 1921, the Right Reverend Harold Ernest Bilbrough was the Bishop of Dover. He was born in 1867 and educated at Winchester and New College, Oxford. Bilbrough began his ecclesiastical career with a curacy at St Mary’s, South Shields and was successively Vicar of St John’s, Darlington, Rural Dean of Jarrow and then Sub-Dean of Liverpool Cathedral before his elevation to the episcopate as Bishop of Dover in 1916. He was nominated Bishop of Newcastle on 14 September and installed on 5 October 1927; he retired on 1 October 1941 and died 15 November 1950.

The Church of St Mary the Virgin CT16 1BY

Church of England and a Grade II* Listed Building.

The following is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016):

Building Details:

Building Name: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN Parish: DOVER District: DOVER County: KENT Postcode:

Details:

LBS Number: 177725 Grade: II* Date Listed: 30/06/1949 Date Delisted: NGR: TR3192041516

Listing Text (amended):

685/2/25 CANNON STREET 30-JUN-49 (Northeast side) The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*

Parish Church. Built on the site of some Roman Baths and a Saxon church on the site mentioned in Domesday Book, but the oldest part of the present structure is Norman. Early C12 (C12 = 12th Century) west tower and four bays of the arcades but aisles, remainder of the nave and chancel by J C and C Buckler (architects) in Early English style. Built of flint with stone dressings. West tower is square of five stages surmounted by spire with weathervane. Arcading on the west face, increasingly rich towards the top. Colonnettes with block capitals, arches with a series of scallops. Plain renewed west doorway with shafts. Aisles have lancet windows. Most stained glass windows were lost during the [Second World War]().

INTERIOR: Tower arch with recessed shafts and a roll. The three west bays of the Norman nave arcades are early C12 and a further bay is almost contemporary but has a simpler base moulding. Round piers, scallop capitals and square abaci. C13 stained glass window to gallery. Norman octagonal Purbeck stone font bowl but remainder renewed. 1638 brass and a good series of C18 wall monuments. The remainder of the nave, aisles and chancel are of 1843-4. C19 pews.

(Buildings of England "North East and East Kent" Revised 1983 pp 297-8.)

2

Listing NGR: TR3192041516

Source: English Heritage. Click to see photos of Listed Buildings and English Heritage sites in the town.

Recent St Mary’s C of E Church Photos:

A set of three:

St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Sunhine and Snow, Dover, England

St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Snow and Sunshine, Dover, England

Close-up of St Mary’s Parish Church in Sunshine and Snow, Dover, England

Plus:

The Eight Bells of St Mary the Virgin Church, Dover, Kent, England

And:

Sundial Verse of St Mary the Virgin Parish Church, Dover, Kent, England

A popular 2007 photo:

Victorian Apse of St. Mary the Virgin Parish Church, Dover, Kent, UK

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on November 12, 2013

Also see the February 2012 photograph:

Bell Tower of Church of St Mary the Virgin in Winter, Dover

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on February 25, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: Canon EOS 600D
    • Taken on 2013/02/19 12:07:16
    • Exposure: 0.008s (1/125)
    • Focal Length: 23.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/11.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups