Tallassee and Montgomery Railway
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Tallassee and Montgomery Railway was a railroad which operated between a connection with the Western Railway of Alabama at Milstead and the Tallapoosa River textile mill town of Tallassee, Alabama in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The railroad was built by the owners of the Tallassee Falls Manufacturing Company to transport the company's products to markets. Construction began in 1895 and the line began operation on February 6, 1896. In 1912 the Tallassee and Montgomery was purchased by the Union Springs and Northern Railway to become part of the Birmingham and Southeastern Railway system.
The Tallassee and Montgomery Railway through truss bridge over the Tallapoosa River near Milstead still stands and is easily visible from State Route 229 just north of I-85 exit 26.
HISTORY by Gil Hoffman: The Union Springs & Northern Railway was incorporated in Alabama on March 8, 1901, and was controlled by Winton M. Blount. Authorized capital stock was $100,000. On April 26, 1911, the name was changed by charter amendment to Birmingham & Southeastern Railway. On June 24, 1912, the company purchased the property of the Tallassee & Montgomery Railway. The B&SE was controlled by Winton M. Blount and F. J. Lisman.
The Tallassee & Montgomery Railway was incorporated in Alabama on August 10, 1895, and was controlled through stock ownership by the Tallassee Falls Manufacturing Company.
The line extended from Union Springs, AL in a northerly direction to Eclectic, AL, 46.894 miles. It connected with the Central of Georgia at Union Springs, the Seaboard Air Line at Fort Davis, and the Western Railway of Alabama at Milstead. The line from Union Springs to Fort Davis, 7.50 miles, was built by the Union Springs & Northern Railway and opened for operation in November 1901. From Fort Davis to Milstead, AL, 20.00 miles, was completed and in operation about June 1912, and from Tallassee to Eclectic, 14.42 miles, completed and in operation on June 15, 1913. The entire 41.92 miles of road between Union Springs and Eclectic was built under contract by W. M. Blount. The section between Tallassee and Montgomery, 6.28 miles, acquired from the Tallassee & Montgomery Railway on June 24, 1912, was constructed between September 1895 and March 1896.
The railroad traversed gently rolling country. The line contained 95 timber trestles and one metal bridge over the Tallapoosa River, consisting of two 150-foot through-truss spans on three granite piers. Nearly 75 percent of the rail was new 60-lb. rail. The remained was 60 and 56-lb. relay rail.
More info - http://www.msrailroads.com/Alabama_RRs.htm