This moderate flood of 26 Feb 2013 came a month after a major flood on 27 Jan 2013. This photograph was taken at the flood peak when the river was at 7.7M on the Imbil Gauge.
A glance at the accompanying Google Earth image will reveal that this is an anabranch course of Yabba Creek, which circumscribes Imbil Island. Yabba Creek now flows directly through the neck cutting off this old large meander. The cut was made when timbergetters, c1871, blasted through the Imbil Homestead Ridge, so that the logs they cut would be carried downstream to Gympie and Maryborough without becoming stranded on the Imbil Pocket (now Imbil Island).
A letter published in the Maryborough Chronicle described the men who proposed to make such shortenings as "far-sighted men".
This alluvial land was once the site of a permanent aboriginal camp (pre 1890) then it was used for sheep at first (1850s) but soon changed to cattle grazing and the cultivation of maize and lucerne for stock feed, then dairying and agriculture (from 1920s), plus vegetable growing (from 1930s), reverting to beef cattle grazing in the 1960s.
Prior to 1914, this island was part of Imbil Station. Then when this area was subdivided into "agricultural and Dairy Farms in areas from 80 acres to 700 acres", Tom Rodwell purchased this agricultural farm of 82 acres. Stan Kerridge was a later owner.