Palace Gate, Inner Curtain Wall, Dover Castle, Kent, England, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (5)

John Latter on March 5, 2013

The Keep

The construction of the Keep (circa 1180-1185), or "Great Tower", was supervised by Maurice the Ingeniator (Maurice the Engineer, Architect, or Mason) during the reign of Henry II. It stands 83 feet high and has walls up to 21 feet thick. See:

The Keep of Dover Castle from the King’s Gateway, England

Palace Gate

The position of this gateway in the inner curtain wall is shown in:

The Keep, Palace Gate, and Inner Curtain Wall of Dover Castle

And:

The Keep, Inner Curtain Wall, and Bell Battery of Dover Castle

Also see:

Western Outer Curtain Wall of Dover Castle from the Harbour

A close-up is shown at:

Palace Gate, or Duke of Suffolk’s Tower, Dover Castle

Abridged extract from "The History of the Town and Port of Dover and of Dover Castle (With a Short Account of the Cinque Ports)", Volume 2. Dedicated by the Reverend John Lyon, Minister of "Saint Mary’s" (ie Church of St Mary the Virgin, Cannon Street), on April 21st, 1814, and published the same year:

Duke of Suffolk's Tower, or Palace Gate

The entrance into the Saxon keep, at this gate, was once secured with a portcullis; and the grooves in the stonework are still remaining.

After entering the gate, immediately on the right hand, there is a tower, which originally was only a recess in the wall, and open in front; but it has been enclosed, and apartments fitted up for the reception of those who commanded in the tower.

Edward the Fourth expended a considerable sum in repairing and decorating this building with lions and fleur-de-lis, for the accomodation of the Duke of Suffolk, who had married his sister, Elizabeth.

Abridged extract from "The History of the Castle, Town and Port of Dover" by Reverend S. P. H. Statham, Rector of St Mary-in-the-Castle (ie St Mary-in-Castro) (Longmans, Green, and Co., 1899):

Two gates (in the Inner Bailey walls) led in to the inner ward (or Keep Yard), the one on the north, called the King’s Gate; that on the south being named the Palace Gate, or the Duke of Suffolk's Gate. They are vaulted passages between two flanking square towers, and are early English in character. Both were fitted with a portcullis.

An outwork, consisting of a wall with towers, was thrown out in front of each of these gates, and the entry to these works was placed obliquely to the main gate so as to allow the approach to be commanded. That at the King's Gate (the King’s Gate Barbican) remains much as it was first built, but the one at the Palace Gate has been entirely destroyed.

Click to see all photos of Dover Castle, a Dover English Heritage site and Listed Building.

Dover Castle appears in "Dover in World War Two: 1942", a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.

A 29th of June 2010 Dover History photo.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on March 18, 2013

This photo shows the archway and drawbridge of:

The King’s Gate, Inner Curtain Wall, Dover Castle, United Kingdom

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Dover Castle, Castle Hill, Dover, Kent CT16 1HU, UK
Dover Castle

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 5, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2011/06/29 11:13:39
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 35.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/13.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups