The Leeds Library is the oldest surviving subscription library of its type in the UK. It was founded in 1768 following an advertisement placed in the Leeds Intelligencer earlier that year. The first secretary was Joseph Priestley. The library moved several time in its early years before settling in the purpose built premises on Commercial Street, Leeds on 4 July 1808. This building is a grade II* listed Greek Revival building by Thomas Johnson with major 1880-81 extension to the rear by Thomas Ambler. As of April 2011 the library has over 800 members who pay an annual subscription. The library is estimated to have a stock of over 140 000 titles.