Streetcar From the Old Bellaire Line

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

In 1909 the Westmoreland Railroad Company, directed by Bellaire developer William Wright Baldwin, began construction of a streetcar line between this location and Houston's Main Street (4 mi. E) to improve transportation between Bellaire and Houston. Laid out on the esplanade of Bellaire Boulevard, the streetcar line consisted of one railway track and an overhead electric wire. The line terminated at this site, where the company constructed a waiting pavilion and a turnaround loop. At the same time, the Houston Electric Company extended its south end line from Eagle Avenue down present Fannin Street to connect with the Bellaire line at Bellaire Boulevard (now part of Holcombe Boulevard). The trip between Bellaire and downtown Houston required one transfer at Eagle Avenue. Service began on December 28, 1910. The streetcar line, often called the "Toonerville Trolley," became an integral link between Bellaire and Houston and played a vital role in the development of this area. The availability of motor transport and frequent derailments caused by worn-out track led to the abandonment of the line in September of 1927. Motor bus service began the following day

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 18, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by i_am_jim

Groups