The history of the Old Town Hall began in 1338, when King John of Luxembourg granted Prague’s Old Town the right to establish its own administrative centre. The original basis for the town hall became the gothic house of the wealthy merchant Wolflin of Kamen, for whom a stately tower was built in 1364.
The Old Town Hall is associated with the most significant events in the country’s history. This is the place where the king of Bohemia George of Poděbrady was selected in 1458. After the Battle of White Mountain, the leading participants in a revolt were imprisoned here. Twenty seven of these were subsequently executed on 21 June 1621 in front of the Town Hall.
When the four districts of Prague merged in 1784, the Town Hall became the seat of the city’s unified official administration. At that time, the building underwent many alterations. Weddings have been held at the Town Hall since 1871. At the end of the Second World War, the Town Hall was the focal point of an insurrection, and the Czech National Committee directed operations from its basement.
On 7 May 1945, the Town Hall was bombarded by tanks. In the conflagration that followed, the eastern and northern wings of the building, opposite Týn Church, were completely destroyed. The tower with the Astrological Clock and a chapel were also heavily damaged.
Source of this text: Prague Information Service