Added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 8, 1980. In 1867 construction began on the present church building. According to historical records, it was built over the church founded by Father Mazzuchelli, which was later dismantled. The "new" church was dedicated on August 15, 1869, under the title of Saint Mary of the Visitation. The cost of the building was $75,000.
Father William Emonds, who was pastor during the time when the church was built, had purchased the ornate high altar which contained the beautiful painting of the visitation of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. Hence the name change to Saint Mary of the Visitation. Father (Msgr.) A.J.Schulte, who succeeded Father Emonds as pastor, referred to the church as Saint Mary of the Assumption. The fact remains, however, that the church was consecrated as Saint Mary of the Visitation. This is attested to by the local newspaper, which covered the story of the dedication of Saint Mary of the Visitation Church. Also, the largest bell in our seventeen bell carillon is inscribed with the words (in Latin) Saint Mary of the Visitation. http://www.icstmary.org/history.php