Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Все монастырские кельи, часовни и церкви расположены прямо на отвесной скале над глубоким ущельем.

St. George's Monastery

This Greek Orthodox monastery was built in the late 5th century AD by John of Thebes. He became a hermit and moved here from Egypt in AD 480. The monastery was named St. George after the most famous monk who lived at the site – Gorgias of Coziba. Destroyed in 614 by the Persians, the monastery was rebuilt in the Crusader Period. It fell into disuse after the expulsion of the Crusaders. In 1878 a Greek monk, Kalinikos, settled here and restored the monastery, finishing it in 1901.

Show more
Show less
Qiryat Motzkin

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 22, 2013
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Nadia Kushnir
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D200
    • Taken on 2013/03/15 11:15:56
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/1250)
    • Focal Length: 38.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO160
    • Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
    • No flash