Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Ince Minaret Medrese(1279),Konya (The photo was taken in 1989)

History

Built between 1258-1279 by the Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate vizier Sâhib Ata Fahreddin Ali who later founded the Anatolian beylik of Sâhib Ata.The minaret was originally much taller than the section that survives today, and had an unusually slender appearance in comparison to the minarets of other contemporary Seljuk mosques, hence the name of the structure.

The building has a highly ornamented stone façade which includes relief work of scripts, geometric patterning and vertical ribbon-like lines. The entrance is surrounded by a band of elegant Thuluth, depicting Sura 36 and Sura 110.

Restored in 1956, the minaret was damaged by lightning in 1901, the edifice is used today as a museum where stone and wooden artefacts dating from the Seljuk and Ottoman periods are displayed.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 24, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Giorgos Dimitriadis
    • Camera: FUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD. SP-3000