Central of Georgia Roadbed (abandoned 1985)
In the distance, a person is seen walking the old roadbed of what was once the Central of Georgia Railroad on the line from Smithville, GA to Montgomery, AL.
As a result, in 1895 the railroad emerged as the Central of Georgia Railway and continued its growth through acquisition. By the 1920s the railroad mostly reached its final length stretching from its home city of Savannah to as far west as Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama; as far north as Atlanta and Chattanooga; and as far south as Albany, Georgia. For a railroad, which only operated in essentially two states and reached Chattanooga it operated an impressive 2,000+ mile system.