Temple of Olympian Zeus, Athens
The Temple of Olympian Zeus (Greek: Ναὸς τοῦ Ὀλυμπίου Διός, Naos tou Olympiou Dios), also known as the Olympieion or Columns of the Olympian Zeus, is a colossal ruined temple in the centre of the Greek capital Athens that was dedicated to Zeus, king of the Olympian gods. Construction began in the 6th century BC during the rule of the Athenian tyrants, who envisaged building the greatest temple in the ancient world, but it was not completed until the reign of the Roman Emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD some 638 years after the project had begun. During the Roman periods it was renowned as the largest temple in Greece and housed one of the largest cult statues in the ancient world.
The temple was built of Pentelic marble and was 96 feet long on the edges and 40 meters on the east and west facade. He had 104 Corinthian columns, each 17 meters high, 2.6 meters in diameter and weighs 364 tons. 48 columns standing in a triple row beneath the pediments and 56 in double row ends. Only 15 of the original columns of the temple still standing today. A gale threw a column in 1852, which is located at the same point.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia