Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Old Palo Post Office (Left) & Barber Shop (Right) - Palo, Iowa

Built around 1914. The building on the left is now Insights Boutique. This one-story vernacular false front form has a low-pitched gabled roof set behind a level raised parapet on the front. It is of frame construction with narrow clapboard-style vinyl siding and has a very small footprint, measuring 480 square feet. The façade has been altered with a replacement shop window and modern door.The building is nearly identical to 104 Vinton Street to the east. This building housed the Palo post office in the 1930s.

The building on the right, This one-story, vernacular false front store building has a low-pitched gabled roof set behind a raised parapet on the front.The building is of frame construction clad with narrow clapboard-style vinyl siding. The building has a very small footprint, measuring only 480 square feet.The façade has been altered with a replacement shop window and a small shed-roof overhang.This building is nearly identical to 106Vinton Street immediately west.This building was built on part of the site of the former P.A.Yates & Son general store that burned to the ground in 1913. It was present by the time of a 1925 road improvement map of Vinton Street, and thus would have been built sometime after the 1913 fire and before the 1925 map. A circa 1914 date of construction is possible. Historically, this small building housed a barbershop. http://www.paloia.govoffice2.com/vertical/sites/%7B434D4528-2EBA-41FD-BB30-AF0F1451A315%7D/uploads/PaloBooklet.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 6, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan