Sits on a 12 foot granite base. Has 4 plaques, one on each side. The front plaque reads: Erected AD 1914 By The Citizens Of Marion And Vicinity. In Honor Of The Heroes Of The Civil War 1861-65 And Dedicated Oct. 15 Under The Auspices Of Robt. Mitchell Post No. 206 GAR And The Women's Relief Corps. No. 126.
The plaque on the back has a side of Lincoln's Face and his words: That These Dead. Shall Not Go In Vain, That This Nation Under God Shall Have A New Birth Of Freedom, That Government Of The People, By The People, For The People. Shall Not Parish From The Earth - A. Lincoln.