Added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 21,1975. Is a member of the Silos & Smokestacks.
Celebrating its 150th anniversary, the Wapsipinicon Feed Mill and Dam became operational in 1854. The five story structure is 122 feet long by 62 feet wide and was used at first as a flouring mill. As wheat production slowed down, it became more economical to produce "Wapsi" brand poultry and stock feed.
Today the Mill is the foremost cornerstone of our community. It still resides in its original location but has since received several cosmetic reconstructions. Surrounded by several eateries and just over the bridge from our historic downtown, the Wapsipinicon Mill serves as a substantial tourist attraction. The Mill is operated by the Buchanan County Historical Society and is open for tours and special events during the summer months. http://www.independenceia.com/the-wapsipinicon-feed-mill.php