Also known as Col. Hitt’s “Fort”
"The “fort,” on Adams Street in Ottawa is in fact a stone shelter for a well belonging to Col. Daniel F. Hitt, a prominent farmer and civic leader in the nineteenth century. It is popularly known as Col. Hitt’s fort."
" In 1873, Col, Daniel F. Hitt, surveyor and civil war commander, built a stone building over an artesian well. The stone structure, resembling a powder house, is the main part of a waterworks designed to supply his farm. The water pipes remain in the ground and the water system and the well house were in use for this purpose until 1965. In 1969, Mrs. Earl Simonson, a granddaughter of Col. Hitt, donated the well house, deeds and papers concerning the building to the La Salle County Historical Society. At the same time, Ed Peck donated the surrounding land to the society."
Owned by the LaSalle County Historical Society