Added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 14, 1978. Popularly known as the "Grant Wood House" because of the famed Iowa artist who once owned it and restored it to its original form. The house was constructed by Nicolas Oakes who established a brick yard near the site of the house in 1856. In addition Oakes manufactured drain tile and probably was the first maker of that product in Johnson County. According to a plaque on the exterior, the house was built on 1858. The Data Sheets compiled circa 1940 while Wood still occupied the house give 1854 as the year of construction, but this probably was a mistake. The assumption is made that the 1858 date is more accurate since Oakes probably built the house of brick he made himself and because of the plaque.
Built in Victorian architectural style.