There is no documentary evidence for the dovecote's date of construction but some of the architectural features suggest it may have been as long ago as the 14th century. Would originally have belonged to the Benedictine Priory of Dunster which was a cell of Bath Abbey. Domestic Pigeons were kept to provide Squabs a luxury food from the breast meat of young pigeons. From the 12th century to 1619 only Lords of the Manor and parish priests were allowed to keep them. The priory was abolished in the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, and property belonging to it was sold to the Luttrell family of Dunster Castle.