Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Beograd - Serbian Patriarchy 1934-1935

PATRIARCHATE ,is on the site of the old Metropolitan of the XVIII and XIX centuries.This building was designed by architect Viktor Lukomski and was built 1934-1935.The main facade facing the Orthodox Cathedral is decorated with the coat of arms of the Serbian patriarchate and a mosaic depicting St. John the Baptist to whom the chapel is dedicated.The library of the patriarchate and Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church are housed here.The museum ,established in 1854,is one of the oldest Serbian museums.The development of the Serbian Orthodox Church is expressed through museum documents,religious objects and art of works.

The most valuable items are certainly: King Milutin's robes from the XII- XIV century,Jefimija's needlework,Knez Lazar's robes,a cup of the Russian czar Ivan the Terrible,Privileges granted of the Serbs by Austrian emperors,the manuscript of the Chronicles of Count Georgije Branković,numerous icons,woodcut prints and copper engravings,etc.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on May 14, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Sonja Sofronić
    • Camera: Canon PowerShot A560
    • Taken on 2013/04/14 13:10:49
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash