Church of Saint Roch, Žižkov
The Church of Saint Roch, located on Olšany Square (Czech: Olšanské náměstí), is the oldest church in present-day Žižkov, a cadastral district of Prague, Czech Republic. The Baroque structure was built between 1680 and 1682 by Jan Hainric, probably according to plans by the renowned French architect Jean Baptiste Mathey.
The stimulus for the church’s construction was the plague epidemic which broke out in Prague in early 1680. So many citizens of Prague were killed, that new cemeteries needed to be established outside the city walls. Plague cemeteries were laid out in Olšany for the Old Town, New Town, and Jewish Quarter. The Old Town City Council also decided to build a pestilence chapel on its newly established burial ground. It was dedicated to St. Roch, a patron saint of plague victims.