Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Собор Святых Петра и Павла - The Peter and Paul Cathedral - Петергоф - Peterhof - Санкт Петербург - Sankt Peterburg

The Peter and Paul Cathedral (Russian Собор Святых Петра и Павла) is a Russian Orthodox Cathedral in the Russian city of Peterhof.

With a height of around 70 meters, it is one of the most orthodox religious buildings around the world.

Located near the palace complex of Peterhof Cathedral was built between 1894-1904 and is since 1975 the national cultural heritage of Russia.

The construction of a new church at Peterhof in 1892 applied for, even though it was already at that time in the place more than a dozen churches. For the design of the cathedral dedicated Emperor Alexander III. three architects, of which Nikolai Sultanov emerged in the spring of 1893 as the winner.

The construction work on the building was begun in 1894 with the excavation of the pit for the foundation. The foundation stone was laid on 6 August 1895 already under Tsar Nicholas II instead. The work was supervised by the architect Vasily Antonovich Kossjakow, the cost for the construction was supported by the Ministry of the Imperial Court. The construction was carried out in four years, a further three years was required for plastering and installation of heating and ventilation. In the last two years, the ceiling paintings were made and the iconostasis attached.

The consecration of the cathedral took place on 25 June rather than the presence of the imperial family in 1905. The two side chapels were the Alexander Nevsky and St. Xenia on 10 Consecrated September of the same year.

In 1938 the cathedral was built in the wake of the Socialist seizure of power, which was already years ago, closed. It was first plans to blow up the building, and so completely destroy. This plan was not implemented, but the interior was mostly removed. During the Second World War, the Peter and Paul Cathedral, like many other buildings in Peterhof suffered also great harm.

In 1989 the cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on May 26, 2013
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Станковић Миломир
    • Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix HS10 HS11
    • Taken on 2012/07/20 14:10:32
    • Exposure: 0.002s (1/480)
    • Focal Length: 4.20mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash