The Masonic Temple was designed by Ellis and Connery, and opened around 1909. Like many other important Toronto Junction men of his day, Ellis was himself an active freemason, and he served as the master of local Stanley Lodge prior to this building’s construction.
The interior of the temple is richly decorated with examples of Masonic furniture, regalia, art, and stained glass.
James Ellis was a prolific architect in this neighbourhood. Many of the buildings he designed are still standing.