Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Ceiling of the Bank Chamber Inside the Gulf Building

Prominent real estate developer, publisher, statesman and banker Jesse H. Jones opened the Gulf Building in 1929 with Gulf Oil, National Bank of Commerce, and Sakowitz Brothers as primary tenants. Alfred C. Finn designed the 430foot high Art Deco edifice with a six-story base topped by a tall tower that diminishes in size as it rises. The 37-floor, steel-frame structure was the tallest building west of the Mississippi when it was built and remained Houston’s tallest skyscraper for 34 years. In 1986, the building, then owned by a successor bank, underwent a $50 million restoration. It was renamed the JPMorgan Chase Building in 2000 and continues to be a monument to the city’s growth, modernity and financial prosperity.

John Allen's (the primary founder of Houston) wife's home was on this location. She is the person who named Houston, Texas

This building is in the National Register of Historic Places

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on June 19, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by i_am_jim