Mission San Jose in Fremont founded by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen in June 11,1797. Named for Saint Joseph, step father of Jesus Christ and husband of the Blesed Virgin (Patron saint of fathers, carpenters, workers, and holy death). The 14th in the original chain of 21 Alta California missions ( the second largest in the Alta California chain). Destroyed by earthquake in 1868; restored in 1916 and 1950. The present church was reconstructed in 1982-1985.