In the Burg Street, corner Castle Street, in Cape Town. The green building is the "Murray House" with the initial HMM on top, 25 Hout Street corner Burg Street. The high brown building at the left is the NBS Waldorf Arcade in Hout Street, Burg Street and 80 St. Georges Mall Street, designed by MLH Architects & Planners.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (3)

Hans R van der Woude on August 27, 2013

See also the D.M. Murray & Co Building in Long Street, built in 1935 and designed by Forsyth & Parker Architects.

http://www.artefacts.co.za

"Walking Long Street", by Desmond Martin, Struik Publishers Cape Town, South Africa 2007 ISBN 9781770075085

Hans R van der Woude on August 27, 2013

The "all concrete" six-storey Murray House, built in 1926, was for some time one of the tallest buildings in Cape Town. It was financed largely by John Murray (-1928), and was an advertisement for the firm for many years. His son Douglas George Murray (-1964) became the new leader in 1928.

John Murray and James Stewart formed Murray & Stewart (later Murray & Roberts) in Port Elizabeth in 1902.

http://www.murrob.com/

http://www.murrob.com/publications/robust_mar2012/people.asp

http://www.murrob.com/pdf/robust_ magazine/robust_ march2012.pdf

http://www.dgmt.co.za/the-dg-murray-trust-founders/

Hans R van der Woude on September 9, 2013

NBS Building, Waldorf Arcade in Architect & Builder Magazine July 1988.

http://www.mlh.co.za/

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Greenmarket Square, Cape Town 8001, South Africa

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 10, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Hans R van der Woude
    • Camera: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. E-510
    • Taken on 2013/07/31 12:07:33
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/160)
    • Focal Length: 15.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups