"Vredefort", 269 Beach Road, Cape Town, designed in 1952 by architect Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009). Noel Lipshitz is the owner of "Vredefort"; Charlie Lipshitz was the first owner. Honikman designed a petrol service station and managers flat for Charlie and a house for a cousin in Durbanville. Charlie had a brother Sam who arranged the first contact.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (4)

Hans R. van der Woud… on August 31, 2013

Alfred Honikman was born in Cape Town South Africa in 1910. That year, his country was unified and became part of the British Empire. After growing up in Cape Town, he graduated with a degree in architecture from the University of Cape Town and went to work in Johannesburg. Returning to Cape Town after several years, World War 2 interrupted his new architectural practice. In 1945, he was discharged from the Army and 3 years later, was elected to the City Council of Cape Town. That was the year that General Smuts and his United Party were defeated by the Nationalists and the system of 'apartheid' became South Africa's 'way of life'. The Government's pro-German (Nazi) sympathies, drew Honikman into anti-apartheid politics. He was elected to the Cape Provincial Council but soon found some members of his Party toying with apartheid. In 1959 he withdrew from party politics and resigned from the Provincial Council. The following year he was elected Mayor of Cape Town. The government severed relations with Britain, and South Africa became a republic. Honikman attracted the wrath of the Government by accepting Sir John Maud's (the British ambassador's) invitation to propose the toast to Her Majesty the Queen at the British Embassy's annual celebrations. Honikman's proposals for the rehabilitation of District Six were rejected by the Government. The entire area was declared "White", and the residents - entirely "Colored"- were given notice to vacate the area within two years. Thereafter Honikman occupied different offices in local government until his retirement in 1980 when he left South Africa to live near his family in Santa Barbara California. In 1985 he returned for the naming of 'Honikman Square' in his honor. I first saw Alf Honikman after he became Mayor in 1961 and he called at Cape Town City Council's Table Bay Power Station to deliver his Christmas Message to the staff. We saw then that Alderman Alf, as he became affectionately known, valued the `common touch' and encouraged dialogue with staff members as well as ratepayers of his beloved City. In those dark days, he ensured that representation of disenfranchised people was made to the absolute limits of the repressive laws then in place. Aldermen Alf was always ready to consider advice given and offer constructive criticism if he held opposing views. Supreme sadness weighed heavily on him as Chairman of the Works Committee when his officials had to carry out the repressive government's instruction to demolish District Six and decommission infrastructure that had served the community for decade upon decade. The cries of anguish of washerwomen whose livelihood was taken away when we closed Hanover Street Wash-house was but one example. It is indeed unusual to be spared to see such great changes in one lifetime and it is a matter of pride that Alderman Alf has seen the phoenix rise from the ashes. Dismantling of Apartheid and the restitution of land previously lost to people whose voice is once more part of daily debate on an equal footing provides a great sense of satisfaction. David Bradley retired Deputy City Engineer. Source: www.amazon.com

Hans R. van der Woud… on December 8, 2013

The architect Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009) went as a child to the Tamboers Kloof Preparatory School in Belle Ombre Road, off Kloof Nek Road, within walking distance (about half a mile) from home. The architects Herbert Black (1875-1937) & William George Fagg (1867-1938) designed in 1904 a new house for the family Honikman in 2 Kloof Road, cnr. Tamboers Kloof (demolished). The house was called "Epherton" in honor of grandfather Ephraim Honikman, born near Warsaw in Poland. That was the family home for 15 years. In 1920 they moved to a house called "Longwood" (now "Rutland Lodge"), designed bij the famous architect Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946); "Longwood" was a prototype of Cape-Dutch architecture. The architects Charles Percival Walgate (1886-1972) and Lancelot Andrew Elsworth (1891-1971), representatives of architect Sir Herbert Baker in the Cape modernised this house. The property had a frontage on Montrose Avenue, Forest Road and Hilton Road in Oranjezicht.

Lit.: "Almost a century" by Alfred Harold Honikman; Dog Ear Publishing, Indianapolis USA 2007 (ISBN 978 159858 388 5), page 4 and 18-22.



Hans R. van der Woud… on December 13, 2013

Architect Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009), buried Santa Barbara Cemetery, California, USA, designed "Vredefort" 269 Beach Road, Sea Point for Charlie Lipschitz, "Norfolk House", 219 Beach Road, Sea Point in Cape Town, "Edingight" Flat, Queen Road-Duke Road-Gatley Road in Rondebosch, "Kenmain Gardens", Main Road cnr. Myrtle Road in Kenilworth Cape Town, a Bus Depot for the Golden Arrow Bus Company (now Sportmans Wharehouse close to the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital) on Klipfontein Road , Mowbray (the Charman of the Bus Company was Mr. Pasvolsky), three houses in Oranjezicht for Mr. Sol Green, Mr. Martin Brahms and attorney Shaeffer (1945), a new factory for the Panther Shoe Company, now called "Panther Park", Cambridge Road, corner Berkley Weg M16, in Maitland (the Managing Director Hugo Kocherthaler lived in Sandown Road corner Coniston Road, Cape Town 7700), a house for Siegbert Fleischmann (1913-1997) on the corner of 1 Portland Road and Sandown Road, not far from Hugo Kocherthaler’s home in Sandown Road (Mr. Fleischmann emigrated from Germany in 1936 and worked for Panther shoes and travelled each day to Wellington with Mr. Kocherthaler by car), a petrol service station and a managers flat in Durbanville for Charlie Lipshitz and a house for a cousin of him, modernization of the ABC Shoe Store at the corner of Plein Street and Spin Street in the center of Cape Town for Phillip Kriwer and two houses for him, one double story structure on 13 Mulvihal Road, corner Wood Road, and an other on 21 Wood Road, corner Milner Road in Rondebosch; the second Kriwer house was originally a single story structure, so there is no resemblance now to the original. And Alfred disegned a house in Muizenberg for Mr. Baraitser.

Alfred Harold Honikman designed his own house on 15 Mulvihal Road, corner Wood Road in Rondebosch. He sold a neighbouring piece of land to Phillip Kriwer.

See: www.panoramio.com/photo/94425717

Hans R. van der Woud… on December 13, 2013

Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009) is the uncle of architect Richard Honikman, Unit 2 Greenwich Grove Duke Road, Rondebosch, in Cape Town (http://www.richardhonikman.co.za/).

He designed "Wexford Place", Wexford Road, corner Exner Avenue, Vredehoek, Cape Town, and "Theatre Place", close "Theatre on the Bay" of Pieter Toerien, 1a Link Street, Camps Bay, Cape Town (www.theatreonthebay.co.za; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieter_Toerien).

Awarded an Honorary Life Membership of the Cape Institute for Architecture.

Past president of the Cape Institute for Architecture and is on the National Practice Committee of the South African Institute for Architecture.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Hans R. van der Woude
Heerlen, Amsterdam, Zuidlaren

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 10, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Hans R. van der Woud…
    • Camera: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. E-510
    • Taken on 2013/07/31 15:29:57
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 27.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/10.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash