Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

#17 Calvario-Geometrie

Il complesso di edifici che compongono il Sacro Monte Calvario è costituito dal citato Santuario del SS. Crocifisso- in stile barocco, a pianta ottagonale e ad aula unica – e da 12 cappelle, ognuna di forma diversa, che fungono da stazioni della Via Crucis (due le stazioni XII, XIII, XIV sono dentro il santuario, una posta sull'altare e due in altrettante cappelle interne). Sempre all'interno del santuario troviamo un'altra cappella che ha per soggetto la Visione della Croce, premonizione all'imperatore Costantino della vittoria contro Massenzio. All'esterno troviamo la cos' detta Cappella del Paradiso con la scena della Resurrezione; un'ulteriore cappella che non appartiene al percorso della Via Crucis, fu eretta nel 1694 con la riproduzione – come troviamo anche a Graglia - della Santa Casa di Loreto.

This Sacred Calvary Mount is the northernmost of the Sacred Mounts, both because of its geographical position and also for the cultural influence of nearby Switzerland. The devotional path winds from the town centre of Domodossola to the hill of Mattarella. The construction of the Calvary Mount was started by the Capuchin Monks Gioacchino da Cassano and Andrea da Rho, who in 1656 began the work for the realisation of a monument that would allow pilgrims to relive the Passion of Christ in a sort of biblia pauperum. The project gained the approval of the local populations, who contributed with substantial offerings and made available their personal skills. The themes of the catechist-devotional path of the Sacred Mount are the episodes of the Via Crucis and the Passion of Christ on Calvary. In 1657 the Sanctuary of the Crucifix was built, it was the culminating point of the devotional path. Inside it, there are two chapels: Jesus Dies on the Cross - Gesù muore sulla croce, and the Deposition -la Deposizione. The other chapels were built in the following years in isolated positions, along the paved road that climbs from the city. When in 1810, the Napoleonic suppression sent the Cappucine Monks away, the Sacred Mount was still not completed. In 1828, on the arrival of Antonio Rosmini, who founded the Istituto della Carità – Institute of Charity - on the hill, a new impulse was given to the works that led to the completion of the Sacred Calvary Mount. Today it is made up of fifteen chapels. The long period between the start and the completion of the complex, almost two centuries, endows the chapels with architectural characteristics that range from the baroque to the neo-classical, and the list of artists who contributed their skills includes names like Dionigi Bussola, Carlo Mellerio and Giovanni Battista de Magistris.

Show more
Show less
Domodossola

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 20, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Daniela Brocca
    • Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ28
    • Taken on 2013/06/25 16:03:03
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 4.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: -0.66 EV
    • No flash