Utklippan, is a Swedish lighthouse, and the name of two small islands Södraskär (South skerry) and Norraskär (North skerry). It has been a light station since 1789 when a basket light was in use. The now standing tower (built in 1870) replaced an older tower which was built in 1840 on top of an old fortress. The flame ran on colza oil. In 1887 the colza oil lamp was replaced with a kerosene lamp. It got electrically powered in 1948. The Swedish Maritime Administration owns the lighthouse. In the summer of 2008 SMA reported that the white main light had been deactivated. It was not seen as an important lighthouse for commercial shipping any more. A small passing light remains in use. There is a very small hostel on the island, and a birding station also exists.