20 Fenchurch Street From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 20 Fenchurch Street 20 Fenchurch Street, City of London.jpg Artist's impression of 20 Fenchurch Street within the City of London and The Pinnacle in the background (left) General information Status Under construction Location London, United Kingdom Construction started 2009 Estimated completion March 2014 Height Roof 160 m (525 ft) Technical details Floor count 34 (plus three-storey 'sky gardens') Design and construction Architect Rafael Viñoly Developer Land Securities and Canary Wharf Group Structural engineer Halcrow Yolles Main contractor Canary Wharf Contractors
The previous building on the site, as seen from the Monument. 20 Fenchurch Street is a commercial skyscraper under construction on Fenchurch Street in central London. It has been nicknamed The Walkie-Talkie and The Pint because of its distinctive shape. Upon completion in 2014 the building will be 160 m (525 ft) tall with 37 storeys. Costing over £200 million, it is designed by architect Rafael Viñoly and will feature a highly distinctive, top-heavy form which appears to burst upward and outward. A large viewing deck and 'sky gardens' will be included on the top three floors; these will be open to the public. The tower was originally proposed at nearly 200 metres tall but its design was scaled down after concerns about its visual impact on the nearby St Paul's Cathedral and Tower of London. It was subsequently approved in November 2006. Even after the height reduction there were continued concerns from heritage groups about its impact on the surrounding area. The project was subsequently the subject of a public inquiry. In July 2007, this ruled in the developers' favour, and the building was granted full planning permission. In their preliminary results for 2007, joint-developers Land Securities and Canary Wharf Group said 20 Fenchurch Street would be completed in 2011, however in 2009 this date was pushed back to 2014. It is one of a number of new tall buildings for the City of London financial area; others include The Pinnacle, the Leadenhall Building, and an as yet unnamed project at 52-54 Lime Street. Several insurance companies have agreed to become tenants of 20 Fenchurch Street upon its completion.
The brown building is Minster Court From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Mincing Lane Mincing Lane.jpg Looking north up Mincing Lane, with Minster Court on the right and 30 St Mary Axe in the background Length 0.1 mi (0.2 km) Location City of London, UK North end Fenchurch Street To Great Tower Street Mincing Lane is a short one-way street in the City of London linking Fenchurch Street to Great Tower Street. Its name is a corruption of Mynchen Lane - so-called from the tenements held there by the Benedictine 'mynchens' or nuns of St Helen's Bishopsgate (from Minicen, Anglo-Saxon for a nun; minchery, a nunnery). It was for some years the world's leading centre for tea and spice trading after the British East India Company successfully took over all trading ports from the Dutch East India Company in 1799. It was the centre of the British opium business (comprising 90% of all transactions), as well as other drugs in the 18th century. It is mentioned in chapter 16 of Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend, where it is briefly described: "[Bella] arrived in the drug-flavoured region of Mincing Lane, with the sensation of having just opened a drawer in a chemist's shop." In 1834, when the East India Company ceased to be a commercial enterprise, and tea became a 'free trade' commodity, tea auctions were held in the London Commercial Salerooms on Mincing Lane. Tea merchants established offices in and around the street, earning it the nickname 'Street of Tea'. A notable building is the livery hall of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers. The current building, opened in 1958, is the sixth to stand on the site; the fourth was burnt down in the Great Fire of London and the fifth was destroyed during the Blitz of World War II. A modern landmark partly bounded by Mincing Lane is Plantation Place, completed in 2004, and its sister building Plantation Place South.