The Gate of Supreme Harmony: (pinyin: Tàihémén; Manchu: Amba hūwaliyambure duka), is the second major gate encountered when entering the Forbidden City from the south.
The gate was originally built during the Ming Dynasty, when it was called Fengtianmen . Following the Qing conquest of China, the gate was given its present Chinese and Manchu name. The gate burnt down in 1886 due to a fire started by a tipped lamp in the guard room. The present gate dates from the rebuilding which was completed in 1894.
In the Ming Dynasty, the Emperor held morning court at the Gate of Supreme Harmony to discuss the affairs of the nation with his ministers, although for most of the Ming Dynasty morning court was purely ceremonial, a demonstration of the Emperor's diligence and the status of the titular first minister. The Gate of Supreme Harmony was used occasionally for banquets and other ceremonies.
The gate is three bays deep and seven bays wide, covering a total area of 1371.4 square metres. It is flanked by two minor gates, Zhendu Gate to the west and Zhaode Gate to the east. Ref. Wikipedia