"Insular Mystras" / Νησιώτικος Μυστράς (με θέα στον Αγιο Νεκτάριο και το Σαρωνικό)

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth


The area of the steep hill close to the Monastery of Agia Triada (Agios Nektarios) is called Palaiochora. There many county churches and ruins of a byzantine town are scattered. The location is also nown as “Insular Mystras”.

The archaelogists place at the same location the ancient town of Aegina, Oie or Oia where ancient gods and wooden statues of Dimitra and Persefoni were worshipped. This is made clear by the numerous ancient inscriptions that are scattered around the area or built-in in churches, as well as a great number of ancient architectonic members. The ones that are not built-in in churches have been transfered in other safe places, such as the arcaelogical museum of Aegina.

The people of Aegina settled down there, somewhere in 896 a.C., in order to avoid the raids of the Saracene pirates and stayed until 1800 a.C., when they returned at the port area, where the town of Aegina is until today.

The houses of that medieval town covered the whole SW slope of the hill and ascended amphitheatrically to the top. The habitants were occupied with commerce and sailing and cultivated the small properties and gardens round the town area. During its habitation Palaiochora did not always manage to avoid catastrophy. From the 9th - 12th century few are the testimonies about Aegina but it is well known that it suffered from piratism and its history is bonded with the periods of domination by the Fragous, the Venetians and the Turkish Empire. In 1537 it was possesed by Barbarosa who ransacked most of the churches and for that reason few of the churches that are saved date before the middle of the 15th century. From that date and afterwards the conquerors Venetians and Ottomans rotated until the 18th century when a half-ruined village was left consisted by 300-400 houses, according to sources of European visitors. When the habitants, abandoned finally Palaiochora and moved to the today's town of Aegina, the houses were devastated and gradually collapsed. About 38 churches were left, most of which were decorated with wallpaintings of various eras, from the 13th to the 18th century.

At the entrance of Palaiochora the church of Stavros is found that celebrates on September 14 and at Easter at the church yard, the revival of the custom of the Easter dance, is celebrated. At the left side and higher, is the Βasilica of Agios Georgios the Katholic, which later on was renamed to Panagia the Foritissa and constituted the central square of Paliochora. As we move on we meet the Cathedral church of Εpiscopi – of Agios Dionysios ( Episcope of the island from 1576 to 1579) an arched Basilica, which was built into the rock). The Saint lived in a cell next to the church that is saved till today. From the cell of Agios Dionysios, there is a path that leads round the cliff, where the Monastery of Αgia Kyriaki was the centre of Palaiochora, from the 17th century to 1830. Αgia Kyriaki is a double Basilica, with excellent wallpaintings. Down the path of Agia Kyriaki, the cruciform church of Agios Ioannis Theologos is found with a blue bell tower, Basilica of Αgioi Anargyroi,the church of Αgios Dimitrios, the church of the Dormition, the church of Metamorphosis, the wallpainting of which is saved as a whole.

At the top of the cliff of Palaiochora the Custle is found, built in 1654 by the Venetians. Its walls enclosed 6 tanks, 60 houses and two big churches; Agios Dimitrios and Agios Georgios, one for the Latins and one for the Greek catholics.

Today 38 churches of Basilica rythme are saved in total and are categorized in three different architectonic types. Α. One-room outbond churches: Stavros, Agios Georgios Catholic, Agia Barbara, Agios Nikolaos, Episcope, Agia Anna, Agioi Theodoroi, Agios Minas, Agios Eleftherios, Agia Makrina, Taxiarch Michael, Agioi Anargyroi, Agia Aikaterini, Dormition, Metamorphosis, Agios Efthymios, Agios Ioannis Prodromos, Agios Georgios, Agios Stefanos, Agios Athanasios, Agios Kirikos, Agios Stylianos, Agios Zaharias, Agia Kyfti, Agios Spyridon (or Savior). Also, a desolated church, a pillar cell and a smaller temple. Β. Basilica with no cross but with dome: Agios Nikolaos Mavrikas, Agios Ioannis Theologos, Taxiarch. C. Twin Basilica with two entrances: Agios Charalambos, Panagia of Giannouli, Agia Kyriaki, Agios Georgios of the Castle.


Βυζαντινή Αίγινα - Παλαιοχώρα.

Έτσι ονομάζεται η περιοχή που αποτελείται από ένα απόκρημνο λόφο κοντά στον Μοναστήρι της Αγίας Τριάδας (Άγιος Νεκτάριος) σπαρμένος με εξωκλήσια και ερείπια της παλιάς πόλης της ΠΑΛΑΙΟΧΩΡΑΣ.

Η τοποθεσία είναι επίσης γνωστή σαν " Νησιώτικος Μυστράς "

Οι Αρχαιολόγοι τοποθετούν στην ίδια θέση την Αρχαία πόλη της Αίγινας Οίη

Εκεί εγκαταστάθηκαν οι Αιγινήτες περίπου στα 896 μ.χ. για να αποφύγουν τις επιδρομές των Σαρακηνών κουρσάρων και έμειναν ως το 1800 μχ. Οπότε επέστρεψαν στην περιοχή του λιμανιού όπου ειναι σήμερα η πόλη της Αίγινας.

Τα σπίτια της Μεσαιωνικής αυτής πόλης έπιαναν όλη την ΝΔ πλαγιά του λόφου και ανέβαιναν αμφιθεατρικά ως την κορυφή. Οι κάτοικοι ασχολούνταν με το εμπόριο και την ναυτιλία και καλλιεργούσαν τα μικρά κτήματα και περιβόλια γύρω από την περιοχή της πόλης. Κατά τη διάρκεια της ζωής της η ΠΑΛΑΙΟΧΩΡΑ δεν κατάφερε πάντα να αποφύγει την καταστροφή.

Το 1537 κατελήφθη από τον Βαρβαρόσα και το 1654 από τούς Βενετούς και ο πληθυσμός της μειώθηκε σημαντικά

Τον 18ο αιώνα είχε μείνει ένα μισό ερειπωμένο χωριό και μόνο 300-400 σπίτια σύμφωνα με πηγές Ευρωπαίων περιηγητών. Όταν οι κάτοικοι τελικά εγκατέλειψαν την Παλαιοχώρα και κατέβηκαν στην σημερινή πόλη της Αίγινας τα σπίτια ερήμωσαν και σιγά σιγά κατέρρευσαν. Απέμειναν περίπου 38 εκκλησίες που είναι οι περισσότερες διακοσμημένες με τοιχογραφίες διαφόρων εποχών από τον 13ο έως τον 18ο αιώνα. Στην κορυφή του λόφου της Παλαιοχώρας είναι χτισμένο και το Κάστρο από τούς Βενετούς το 1654.

Τα τείχη του περιέκλειναν 6 δεξαμενές, 6Ο σπίτια και δύο μεγάλες εκκλησίες ενωμένες , η μία για τούς Λατινόρρυθμους και μία για τούς Ελληνόρυθμους καθολικούς.

Σήμερα σώζονται 38 εκκλησίας που είναι ρυθμού Βασιλικής και κατατάσσονται σε τρείς διαφορετικούς αρχιτεκτονικούς τύπους

.Α Μονόχωροι δρομικοί ναοί : Σταυρός , Αγιος Γεώργιος Καθολικός , Αγία Βαρβάρα , Αγιος Νικόλαος , Επισκοπή , Αγία Αννα , Αγοι Θεόδωροι, Αγιος Μηνάς, Αγιος Ελευθέριος , Αγία Μακρίνα , Ταξιάρχης Μιχαήλ , Αγοι Ανάργυροι, Αγία Αικατερίνη , Κοίμηση Θεοτόκου , Μεταμορφώσεως , Αγιος Ευθύμιος , Αγιος Ιωάννης Πρόδρομος , Αγιος Γεώργιος , Αγιος Στέφανος , Αγιος Αθανάσιος , Αγιος Κήρυκος , Αγιος Στυλιανός , Αγιος Ζαχαρίας , Αγία Κυφτή, Αγιος Σπυρίδων ( ή Σωτήρος ) – ακόμα ενας ερειπωμένος ναός , ενα ασκητήριο και ενας μικρότερος ναίσκος.

Β. Βασιλικές ελευθέρου σταυρού με τρούλο: Αγιος Νικόλαος Μαύρικας , Αγιος Ιωάννης Θεολόγος , Ταξιάρχης

Γ. Δίδυμες Βασιλικές με δύο ιερά – εισόδους : Αγιος Χαράλαμπος, Παναγία του Γιαννούλη, Αγία Κυριακή , Αγιος Γεώργιος του Κάστρου.

Πηγή: http://www.aegina.gr/online/2009-02-04-16-56-34/10-2009-02-04-16-43-24/148-2009-03-07-08-42-27.html

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (19)

Giannis Korilis on September 24, 2013

Eξαιρετική εικόνα...AΡΕΣΕΙ...παππους

Manolis Garefalakis on September 24, 2013

Πολύ όμορφο τοπίο,με όμορφα φυσικά χρώματα.Α + Α.Σ΄ευχαριστώ πολύ Βασιλική,για τα ωραία σχόλιά σου.Πολλούς χαιρετισμούς και καλό μεσημέρι.

janamare26 on September 24, 2013

Beautiful landscape.Like.Best wishes,Mirjana

Guizel J.c on September 24, 2013

Beautiful landscape



Godo Nikolov on September 24, 2013

What a magnificent view. Like. Best wishes.

Mircea_RAICU on September 24, 2013

Great framing with a very nice view !
All the best , Mircea R.

Corry on September 25, 2013

Very beautiful view. Excellent shot. Like

Greetings, Corry

C haydeé on September 25, 2013

Magnífica fotografía. Vista de película.


Saludos cordiales desde Argentina, Chaydeé.

NewerMan Man on September 25, 2013

Nice view and nice shot. LIKE. My best wishes, Manup.

Arévalo A. on September 25, 2013

Hermoso paisaje. Like.

Saludos cordiales.

Manos Mastrogiorgis on September 26, 2013

Πολυ ωραια φωτογραφια.

α. 12

sonjamar on September 27, 2013

Very nice view.


Best wishes from Serbia,Sonja

Maroš Kerek on September 27, 2013

Wonderful photo...L

Regards, Maroš

Garzer on September 27, 2013

beautiful view!Like! Greetings, Klaus

Vasilis Anastopoulos on September 28, 2013

Πολύ όμορφη θέα! Αρέσει

Χαιρετισμούς από τον Γέρακα, Βασίλης

Vassiliki Argiriou on September 29, 2013






Mircea R,










Thank you so much for honoring me with your visits, kind comments, likes and favorites! I wish you all beautiful photographic trips!


Nyx Ning on September 30, 2013


Elen Val on September 30, 2013

Ωραία θέα και πολύ κοντά στο μοναστήρι του Αγίου Νεκταρίου! Πολύ κατατοπιστικές και οι συνοδευτικές πληροφορίες! (Θα τις χρησιμοποιήσω στην επόμενη επίσκεψή μου στην Αίγινα, γιατί η Παλαιοχώρα μου 'χει ξεφύγει!) Αρέσει


Vassiliki Argiriou on September 30, 2013

nyxaaa@msn.com thank you for your flattering words and L + F 17/2!

Ελένη σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για τα καλά σου λόγια! Χρόνια κι εγώ στην Αίγινα και δεν είχα πάει ποτέ. Φέτος είπα "επιβάλλεται". Αυτός ο τόπος κρύβει εκπληκτικούς θησαυρούς και έχει μεγάλη ιστορία. Θα ανέβεις από το εκκλησάκι του Τίμιου Σταυρού. Δυστυχώς δε μπόρεσα να κάνω όλη τη διαδρομή, άφησα και για την επόμενη φορά!

Θερμούς χαιρετισμούς / Warm greetings!

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on September 24, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Vassiliki Argiriou
    • Camera: SAMSUNG GT-I9505
    • Taken on 2013/09/22 15:03:55