Divided Nicosia VI

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (5)

Kevrekidis on April 26, 2008

Former Cathedral of Saint Sophia, now a mosque (Selimiye Camii) in the Turkish occupied sector of Nicosia, Cyprus. The cathedral was constructed over a Byzantine church by French architects and craftsmen and it is a beautiful example of medieval French architecture. Building work on the church started in 1209, and took almost 150 years to complete. It is thought to be one of the best examples of Gothic Art in Cyprus. The minarets were added around 1570 when the Ottomans conquered Nicosia and it was converted into the chief mosque of Cyprus.

Nicosia the capital of Cyprus, is now Europe's only militarily divided city. The city has been divided into Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot zones since the Turkish invasion in 1974. The ceasefire line from 1974 today separates the two communities on the island, and is commonly referred to as the Green Line.

©2008 Jordan Kevrekidis

More images from Cyprus:

Kevrekidis Photography on deviantART

MarinusIII on July 19, 2009

It is not only Europe's only divided capital but till today the one and only World's divided captital. Just because the Greek said NO to a solution.

Kevrekidis on July 28, 2009

The “solution” won’t be easy as long as the Turkish army occupies (illegally) the north of the island…

take always care on August 19, 2009

The solution, if there is going to be one, cannot disregard the legal ownership of land and the right for every cypriot to live in any place he wants. No government can discuss and decide about a legally owned property, as long as the owner has been paying his taxes to the government.

So, if the Turkish cypriots want a solution, they have to decide giving back to the legal owners the land they stole and sold to foreigners.

Kevrekidis on June 14, 2011

More images from Greece & Cyprus at: Kevrekidis Photography

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 26, 2008
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Kevrekidis

Groups