Egyptian style monument symbolising a tragic loss of life. Heaton`s monument is rendered sandstone and contains a single burial crypt. It is one of the oldest structures on the former quarantine station site (circa 1856). It reflects the story of George Heaton, who helped construct elements of the quarantine station. Heaton paid a substantial amount of money for the tomb to be built as his ultimate resting-place, but he was never buried in it. Folklore suggests that Heaton built the monument as a memorial to the victims of the Ticonderoga, a ship which lost 168 of its passengers to typhus and scarlet fever, and the first vessel to be quarantined at Point Nepean.