This is a red sandstone castle in Shrewsbury. It stands on a hill in a neck of the meander of the River Severn. It was built as a defensive fortification for the town. In 1138 King Stephen successfully besieged the castle held by William Fitzalan for the Empress Maud during the period known as The Anarchy. Little of the original structure remains. It is currently owned by Shropshire Council and managed by Shropshire Museums. Since 1985 it has housed the Shropshire Regimental Museum with artefacts from the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. It contains the collections of the 53rd, the 85th, the KSLI to 1968, the local Militia, Rifle Volunteers and Territorials as well as those of other county regiments, the Shropshire Yeomanry, the Shropshire Artillery Volunteers and the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery. the museum was attacked by those heroes of the IRA in 1992 resulting in it being closed for three years. Another "soft" target for these scumbags.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location