Hendrik van den Berg
496
photos
438
on Google Maps
views

Hendrik van den Berg's conversations

The School on Wheels Mr WA Joubert built the School on Wheels in 1923. This was in answer to a request by the school board. The classroom on wheels was the solution for the constant shortage in classrooms. At the end of each year the standard 6 pupils from surrounding schools came to Ermelo to write their exams and the classroom was utilised for this purpose. The School was transferred to the Voortrekker Monument on the 7th November 2004 where it was restored.

This fort was built at a cost of GBP £47,500. It was handed over to the government on 6 April 1897. It was supplied with a paraffin engine powered generator for electricity, electrical lighting and a search light. A telephone and telegraphic links were also installed. Water was supplied from a pump station in the Fountains Valley which was shared with the nearby Fort Klapperkop. The garrison was initially armed with one officer and 30 men and was armed with 37 mm Maxim-Nordenfeldt cannon, Martini-Henry hand-cranked Maxim machine guns and a 155 mm Creusot gun (also known colloquially as a "Long Tom"). By October 1899, only 17 men were still stationed at the fort. Both the garrison and the armaments were gradually reduced during the course of the Second Anglo-Boer war until there was only one man and no guns left over on 5 June 1900, the day on which British forces occupied Pretoria.

Fort Schanskop is a Gauteng Provincial Heritage Site and a South African National monument.

Fort Schanskop is a Gauteng Provincial Heritage Site and a South African National monument. This fort was built at a cost of GBP £47,500. It was handed over to the government on 6 April 1897. It was supplied with a paraffin engine powered generator for electricity, electrical lighting and a search light. A telephone and telegraphic links were also installed. Water was supplied from a pump station in the Fountains Valley which was shared with the nearby Fort Klapperkop. The garrison was initially armed with one officer and 30 men and was armed with 37 mm Maxim-Nordenfeldt cannon, Martini-Henry hand-cranked Maxim machine guns and a 155 mm Creusot gun (also known colloquially as a "Long Tom"). By October 1899, only 17 men were still stationed at the fort. Both the garrison and the armaments were gradually reduced during the course of the Second Anglo-Boer war until there was only one man and no guns left over on 5 June 1900, the day on which British forces occupied Pretoria.

Danie Theron (1872-1900) The original fiberglass statue of top scout, Danie Theron, was unveiled at the Danie Theron Combat school in Kimberley. Since then, the statue lost its purpose in Kimberley because the Combat School has been disbanded.Therefore the SA National Defence Force decided to donate this statue to the Voortrekker Monument. The statue was placed at Fort Schanskop on the 29th November 2001. (Retored by Alusaf Bayview in 1995 - Mixture of aluminium and clay)

Danie Theron (1872-1900) The original fiberglass statue of top scout, Danie Theron, was unveiled at the Danie Theron Combat school in Kimberley. Since then, the statue lost its purpose in Kimberley because the Combat School has been disbanded. Therefore the SA National Defence Force decided to donate this statue to the Voortrekker Monument. The statue was placed at Fort Schanskop on the 29th November 2001. (Retored by Alusaf Bayview in 1995 - Mixture of aluminium and clay)

This is a scale model replica of the Trek Monument that was inaugurated on the 16th December 1954 in Tanzania (formerly known as Tanganyika).

The Trek Monument (1904-1954) was erected to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first Afrikaners who settled in the then Tanganyika after the Anglo Boer War (1899-1902).

The replica Tanganyika Momument was inaugurated at Schanskop of the 16th December 2004

http://wiki.up.ac.za/index.php?title=ABLEWIKI:Mahlamba_Ndlopfu

The above link will take to the following data (GPS coordinates are identical):

Date of origin: 1936-1940

Previous names: Libertas

GPS coordinates: 25°44’14.73” S 28°13’35.53” E

Project architect/Designer: Gerard Moerdyk/Moerdijk

Current use: Official residence of the president of South Africa

Splendid capture! Favorite!

Incredible!

Best wishes from China. :)

Friends

  • loading Loading…

 

Hendrik van den Berg's groups