This church was the first colony to go out from old Midway Congregational Church. The first building was erected in 1820 on land donated by Andrew Walthour. The presetn one, constructed near the original site in 1884, replaced buildings destroyed by fire and storm. Walthourville Presbyterian Church was organized in 1855. First pastors were the Rev. John Jones, supply, the Rev. Robert S. Mallard; elders, William Q. Baker, Thomas S. Mallard; deacons, David A. Miller, Thomas W. Quarterman. Second in size in the Georgia Presbytery in 1861, this church led in benevolent gifts. The original site for the Walthourville Cemetery nearby was donated by William D. Bacon in 1872. (Note: Information taken from historical marker in front of church).
This bluff was named for Lieutenant Patrick Sutherland, to whom it was granted by General Oglethorpe for his service at the Battle of Bloody Marsh. A shipyard was laid out here at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. The local wood was used for building ironclads and frigates. In the late 1700s and early 1800s, the bluff was a regular stop for ships sailing the inland waterways, so a store and livery stable was built for passengers disembarking for overland travel. Today, the bluff is an upscale community with a large golf course as well as a restaurant.
This is the original ladder that was used in the lighthouse when it was activated in 1820.
This lighthouse was constructed in 1820 to aid in navigation for the ships entering the port of Darien. The lighthouse was badly damaged during the hurricane of 1898 and was abandoned. A large steel tower was built nearby. This was used until 1933, when due to the declining importance of Darien as a port, it was dismantled and sent to Michigan. In 1998, the lighthouse was restored to its original appearance. Visitors today who tour Sapelo can climb the lighthouse, however; visitors may not go out on the observation deck due to safely measures.
This beacon was used in conjunction with the lighthouse by ship captains to navigate into Doboy Sound to the port of Darien.
The Reynolds Mansion was originally constructed between 1807 and 1810 by Thomas Spaulding. The house was nearly destroyed during the Civil War. When Howard Coffin of the Hudson Motor Company in 1912. Coffin restored the mansion and spruced up the rest of the island. He sold the island to Richard J. Reynolds in 1933 in order to keep his hotel on Sea Island, the Cloister. Reynolds' widow sold the island to the state in 1965. The mansion can be rented by groups of 16 to 29 guests.
In the background is the Long Tabby House. It is the oldest structure on the island. It now houses the Sapelo Island Post Office.
R. J. Reynolds had this 6000 foot long airstrip made for his plane. In its day, it was the longest grass airstrip east of the Mississippi.
This house was constructed for a friend of R. J. Reynolds. The house is actually a house from the Sears Catalogue. It's like the Southern Living houses of today.
These holes were used by Howard Coffin for his homing pigeons. The pigeons were used to send messages to and from the mainland.