This grand old house is now home to a law firm. Its most notable feature is a large front porch with a corner gazebo. The house received a large addition in back that blends seamlessly with the rest of the building.Link to more information on this house
Link to more information about this house
One of three historic buildings in Heritage Square owned and maintained by the Fayetteville Womens Club. Link to more information about this house
This house has been demolished
This purportedly haunted house has a rich history. A historical plaque has the following information. "Duncan McLeran constructed this two-story Federal-style dwelling in 1797. In 1820, the property was sold and remodeled to accommodate the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. The house is named for John Sanford, a cashier there who purchased the property for a residence for his family in 1832 after the bank closed. According to local tradition, the residence was used as a barracks for Union troops during Gen. William T. Sherman’s occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865. After the war, Capt. John E.P. Daingerfield bought the property. Dangerfield, who had been clerk at the Harpers Ferry arsenal in 1859 during John Brown’s Raid, came here when munitions and equipment were transferred to the Fayetteville Arsenal from Harpers Ferry in 1861. Maj. John C. Booth, commanding officer at the Fayetteville Arsenal, appointed him military storekeeper and paymaster. Daingerfield served in the 2nd Battalion Local Defense Troops, commonly referred to as the Arsenal Guard, and occupied the house with his wife Matilda and his four children. The Daingerfield family sold the Sanford house about 1897. Since 1945, the Fayetteville Woman’s Club has owned and maintained the building, using it for meetings and social functions. The club also maintains the Baker-Haigh-Nimocks House (ca 1804) and the Oval Ballroom (ca 1830), with generous assistance from the National Society of Colonial Dames."
I found this information about the ship printed on a menu in a nearby restaurant. "In the years prior to World War II, Breece’s Landing – established along the banks of the River near the former Campbellton – became the social center of Fayetteville. The old, rusted metal boat that still sits between the Grove Street Bridge and the Cape Fear River Bridge was Patrol Craft 1084, which saw active service during World War II. Stripped of its guns and sold as surplus after the war, it was purchased to serve as a floating dock for Breece’s Landing."
A hand painted sign by the gate says "Visitors Welcome (If you assume all risks) Be Careful." The gardens are part of an historic Fayetteville home. Link to more information on "The Gardens
The New Croton Reservior bridge (called the Gate House Bridge on Google Maps) is a lightly traveled bridge that spans the New Croton Reservoir. It’s a steel “through truss” built in 1904 and its total length is 535 feet. This bridge is listed among the historic bridges of New York.
A stone beside the gates bears the following inscription: Gates of Remembrance. These Gates of Remembrance were created in 1992 by Rita Rapaport to memorialize the suffering and death of millions during the Nazi era from 1933 to 1945. The posts supporting the gates look blown by the wind. They evoke memories of the flames or chimneys of the crematoria. To some, they will resemble the Hebrew letter “vov,” which represents the number six, for the six days of creation or the six million Jewish victims. The gates themselves may symbolize the bars of a prison or the entrances to concentration camps, or are they the gates of heaven or hell? Do they lead to freedom or bondage? The five plaques on the gates depict these images: (Hebrew characters) meaning “Remember,” torn fabric bearing a prisoner’s number, barbed wire representing concentration camps, the Bible in flames commemorating Kristallnacht when the Holocaust began and the broken tablets of the Ten Commandments. As we stand before these gates, we are called upon to remember what we must never forget.
The brass plaque reads: "The Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776. Near this spot the British under Howe forded the Bronx River and attacked the right wing of Washington’s army located above on Chatterton Hill. Erected by Act of Congress May 18, 1926." A second plaque on the side of the boulder reads: "This boulder was taken from Mount Misery which was the site of Washington’s encampment, October 31, 1776."