Erected in 1910 on the site of the former courthouse, this monument marks the spot where on July 9, 1776, a copy of the Declaration of Independence was delivered to the New York Provincial Congress, which was meeting in the county courthouse. The delegates quickly adopted a resolution approving the Declaration, thus declaring both the colony's independence and the formation of the State of New York. The Declaration itself was first publicly read from the steps of the courthouse on July 11, 1776. Link to Wikipedia article on the history of White Plains
This larger-than-life basket of flowers sits on a traffic island between two busy streets. A brass plaque attached to the handle says: "The Basket, Maintained by a gift from Barbara & Richard Dannenberg, White Plains Beautification Foundation"
A brass plaque on the granite base reads: "In Memoriam, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, 1917 World War 1918"
Link to a Wikipedia article with information about the Tower of Victory at Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site
This footbridge brings visitors to Wildflower Island, a two-acre wildflower preserve on the 834 acre Teatown Lake Reservation. Two islands emerged, on what was formerly farmland, in 1928 when then property owner, Gerard Swope, Sr. dammed Bailey Brook. Link to information on Teatown lake
This is the view of the bridge from the north-bound Taconic State Parkway. It's especially impressive at night as you round the bend and the bridge looms out of the darkness. The Croton Reservoir Bridge was renamed the AMVETS Memorial Bridge in December of 2003 to honor the men and women who have served in the nation's armed forces. Built in 1931, it's a steel “through arch" bridge spanning a total of 960 feet
The Croton Reservoir Bridge was renamed the AMVETS Memorial Bridge in December of 2003 to honor the men and women who have served in the nation's armed forces. Built in 1931, it's a steel “through arch" bridge spanning a total of 960 feet. The bridge carries north-bound traffic on the Taconic State Parkway across the Croton Reservoir.
A memorial to the victims of 9-11 in the Beverly Hills Cemetery. There is a large brass plaque that reads: "Somerset County, PA New York, NY Washington, DC Through Blurred eyes we find the strength and courage to soar beyond the moment. We look to the future knowing we can never forget the past. God Bless America." At the end of the side walk are two tall steel I-beams meant to represent the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Attached to the beams with magnets and tape are photos, momentos and notes to the victims.
The Amawalk Outlet is the spillway for the Amawalk Reservior, one of many that supply New York City with its drinking water. Link to a Wikipedia article on the Amawalk Reservior
The War Dog Memorial is the centerpiece of the Hartsdale Canine Cemetery. Established in 1896, it is the nation's first pet cemetery. Link to an article on the War Dog Memorial