Loris Pagano was the oldest of three sons, born in Cairo on Sept 6, 1907, of Italian parents. He studied at the university in Rome where he got a degree in architecture and then a civil engineering degree. He returned to Alexandria and started practicing as an architect and starting a family. He married Alice Cassar on Jan 9, 1937. One of the buildings he designed was a hospital for a religious order in Alexandria. He was then placed on the hospital's governing board. Being Italian he was interned in Egypt by the British. Not even the fact that his father-in-law Paul Cassar (from Malta) was British vice-consul was not enough to keep him from being interred during the war. They finally let him out after two or three years. They finally let him out after two or three years.
He came out of the camp and started again from scratch. End of 1949, took his family of four kids, and his wife's family, and seeking somewhere where his kids could go to university (plus he did not like the political climate in Egypt at that time), he chose Cape Town, South Africa. He left whatever buildings he had and gave them to his mother and brother. In South Africa he started his architectural practice again for the third time. He took some courses at the University of Cape Town. Met an Italian colleague, A. Bergamasco, and they started putting buildings up, mostly in Sea Point.
The first one they put up was called Edinburgh Court. It is just across the street from the Arthur's Seat Hotel--which was replaced by the Arthur's Seat Mansions. Behind Edinburgh Court, on Main Street there is a tiny nondescript building called Alice Court, named after his wife, and another, Tretal (named because Loris Pagano, Bergamasco, and the builder, Traverso, were three Italians). After many years, Loris put together a company to buy the Arthur's Seat Hotel and replaced it partly with Arthur's Seat Mansions, and then behind that, a new, far less spacious, Arthur's Seat Hotel.
San Carlo (behind Arthur's Seat Mansion, on St John's Road) is named after his daughter Carla. Mimosa is on Beach Road. A block or two south of Arthur's Seat Mansions. Behind Mimosa, on Regent Street, is Mimosa Arcade on 16 Regent Rd, corner Church Road. That is where Loris had his office.
One of his buildings is called Florentia on Beach Road, but at the very (southern) end of Beach Road above a beach called Saunder's Rock. It is called Bantry Bay.
Architect Frank Scott: http://www.artefacts.co.za