Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.
John Latter
Best photos All photos
on Google Maps
IMAGES OF DOVER My interests include: Researching the possibility of an internal evolutionary mechanism based on an extension to homeostasis. The evolutionary origins of psychological trauma. Psychology and Social Psychology. History. Cycling. Digital photography. Reading.

John Latter's conversations

Stretching across the lower half of the photo is the row of large terraced houses of Victoria Park, to the left of which lies the southern entrance to the Zig Zags; if you know where to look, the West Wall of Old St James Church is also visible (bottom right, in a line under the end houses of Victoria Park).

Within 5 to 150 yards of where this winter photo was taken from are: Cowgate Cemetery Nature Reserve, the Court’s Folly, the 64 Steps, and the Drop Redoubt.

This is the uncropped version of Dover Castle in Snow and Sun, Winter 2009, from the Western Heights.

The uncropped version also appears on the Pinterest Dover Castle and Pinterest Dover in Winter boards.

Also see:

Dover Town and Dover Castle from the Western Heights in Autumn

Dover Castle is a Listed Building and English Heritage site.

United Kingdom history, travel, and tourism.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

The original (uncropped) version of this photo is shown at:

Panorama of Dover Castle and Town in Sunshine and Snow

This two-storey ragstone and granite listed building is also shown in HMC Vigilant and Old Customs House, South Pier, Dover.

The Customs Watch House (1)


Rough-tooled snecked ragstone with a base of coursed rough-faced granite blocks and dressed granite details. Cast iron casement windows and slate roof, with copper dome (cupola).


Rectangular plan. Two storeys with four rooms off a corridor on each floor, and second floor belvedere. Central stair, two stacks to the south.


The building is in the Arts and Crafts style. The principal elevation is to the north, overlooking the entrance into the inner harbour. There are gable end parapets to the east and west. The central bay of the north elevation is defined by a broad, central gabled entrance bay with a canted oriel window with three six-paned lights, above which is the royal coat of arms carved in relief from stone blocks. The oriel is surmounted by an octagonal lantern with a domed copper roof. The building retains much of its original fabric, the only notable exception being the weather vane on the domed lantern roof.

The Architect

The Customs building was designed by Arthur Beresford Pite (1861-1934), architect and educator and son of the architect Alfred Robert Pite (1832-1911). Pite's architectural training was undertaken at University College and the Architectural Association in London.

In comparison to other projects Pite undertook in his career, such as Christ Church, Brixton (1907, listed Grade II*), and the massive London, Edinburgh and Glasgow insurance offices on Euston Square (1906-8), the building considered by many to be Pite's masterpiece, the Customs Watch House would have been a rather modest commission. In his design for the Customs Watch House, however, Pite discarded convention to create an eclectic and idiosyncratic building. Dating from the most creative phase of Pite's career it is testament to his diverse and unconventional body of work.

HM Customs and Excise (2)

HM Customs and Excise (properly known as Her Majesty's Customs and Excise, often abbreviated to HMCE) was, until April 2005, a department of the British Government in the UK. It was responsible for the collection of Value added tax (VAT), Customs Duties, Excise Duties, and other indirect taxes such as Air Passenger Duty, Climate Change Levy, Insurance Premium Tax, Landfill Tax and Aggregates Levy. It was also responsible for managing the import and export of goods and services into the UK.

HMCE was merged with the Inland Revenue (which was responsible for the administration and collection of direct taxes) to form a new department, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), with effect from 18 April 2005.

HM Customs and Excise Investigators guarded the borders of the United Kingdom from smugglers. Following a 1971 amalgamation, the service included the former Waterguard, whose uniformed officers had long been a common sight at entry points into the United Kingdom; its insignia included a portcullis. Customs officers had authority throughout the country, including the powers of entry to premises and of arrest. These functions (and the organisation responsible for them) were transferred to HMRC, and further transferred (at least in part) in 2008 to the UK Border Agency of the Home Office.

The prefix of HM abbreviates “Her Majesty's” or “His Majesty's”, depending on the gender of the reigning monarch.

End Notes

Dover's original Customs House was on Custom House Quay, to the north-west of Granville Dock (now part of Dover Marina).

Dover Architecture and History.

(1) The abridged notes in this section are © Crown Copyright and reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016). Source: English Heritage.

(2) From HM Customs and Excise

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

PS This photo also appears on the Pinterest Dover Harbour board at:

Old Customs House, South Pier, Dover Harbour, Kent, England, UK

See all Pinterest Images of Dover boards.

Also see a close-up of the Old Customs Watch House on the South Pier of Dover Harbour.

Also see a close-up of the Old Customs Watch House on the South Pier of Dover Harbour.

Also see a close-up of the Old Customs Watch House on the South Pier of Dover Harbour.


  • loading Loading…


John Latter's groups