In the early twentieth century, the first installment of what is now the Malecon Habanero was built. The avenue finally covered almost the entire stretch of coastal reefs from La Punta to the mouth of the Almendares river, or La Chorrera, as he originally named by the Spanish. Many tourists and Cubans, those who walk through this area of the boardwalk do not know that these pools are witnessing what was the beach of Havana for almost 4 centuries
En 1555 el pirata francés Jacques de Sores ataca y toma la Villa de San Cristobal de la Habana. Para evitar nuevos ataques sorpresivos en 1556 se establece en el lado sur del canal de entrada a la bahia un puesto de vigilancia costera. El lugar era conocido con el nombre de La Punta. En 1565 fue construido en este lugar, un torreón que tendría seis piezas de artillería y 25 a 30 soldados. En 1584 hicieron un pequeño fuerte de piedra y arena, donde se ubicaron 8 cañones. Finalmente los trabajos constructivos de la actual fortaleza comenzaron en 1589 y concluyeron en 1593 . Durante el ataque a la Habana por los Ingleses en 1762, esta fortaleza fue seriamente dañada pero posteriormente fue reconstruida.
To prevent a ship could penetrate to the bay, the Spaniards, tended a heavy chain from here to the opposite edge of the canal. During the day they lowered the chain opening the way for the entry of ships but, at night, raised the chain to prevent the passage inwards. The closure of access to the port advertised firing a cannon from the fortress of La Cabaña. Much later the chain was removed but , until the decade of 1950 remained the tradition of firing the cannon at 21: 00 hours. Havana residents called it the cannon shot of the nine, but there was a previous time when they were calling it the hour of the mameyes
In 1555 the fledgling city of San Cristobal de la Habana was taken, plundered and finally almost completely burned by French pirates. They landed in a cove that existed in this place called caleta de Guillen , and walked to the villa. As the creek was a place where the enemies and pirates could easily land, in the planning of the defensive lines of the later flourishing city, a watching tower was built in the shore of it. Years later, by the place, a hospital for lepers who called San Lázaro was built . It was what gave rise to its present name San Lazaro Tower. In 1916, during the construction of the Malecon, was necessary to fill the creek but the tower was not destroyed.
In the picture we can see some on the reef pools dug by neighbors in the coastal reef for better enjoyment of the marine waters. It should be noted that in this sea coast is relatively deep so it was a danger to those who did not know swimming. The pools ensured that everyone could enjoy a swim in the crystal clear waters of the place. Ofcourse that during periods of large waves the beach became a very dangerous place
The castle of the three kings of the hill seen from whatever beach San Crstobal of Havana during the sixteenth to the nineteenth century.
On this coast the citizens of San Cristobal de la Habana bathing in the sea during the sixteenth to nineteenth centuries.
Sadly, the restaurant and banquet hall have all been torn down. One of my favorite restaurants.
En el 2013 visite el lugar nuevamente y lo del centro cultural y entretenimiento quedó todo en proyecto. Sólo se realizaron algunas pinturas artisticas que ya les mostre en otras fotos y que se han hido deteriorando poco a poco.