Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
Old mill site in Sydenham. The 1915 water turbines for hydro power are still there. Water power for a saw mill and grist mill dates from 1796. Viewed from the Cataraqui Trail on the old Canadian Northern Railway bed, originally built by the Bay of Quinte Railway (BoQ) from Harrowsmith and points west in 1880's. It is part of the 34,22 km. of OFSC trails in Ontario.
The Cataraqui Trail uses this elevated rail bed was built in 1893 from Harrowsmith to Sydenham by the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR) to access mica barged down Sydenham Lake. They first built a wooden trestle over which they pulled loads of rock to side dump and bury the trestle. The rock was excavated and hauled by man and horse. The tracks were acquired by Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910 then CNR in 1923 to 1984. The BQR was headquartered in Deseronto by the Rathburns.
The Cataraqui Trail, and Rideau Trail both use this old railway bed along here. It is a snowmobile trail in winter. This is part of the 34,262 km. of OFSC trails in Ontario.
Railway bridge built in 1912 for the Canadian Northern Railway, now used for the Cataraqui Trail. Eel Bay to the right.
Ice fishing after a January thaw on Eel Bay.
Cataraqui Trail looking west near Camden East. This was originally the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) built in 1884, leased to the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR), ran to Harrowsmith to link to the K&P railway and on to Sydenham in 1893 to access the mica mines. It was taken over by the former Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910 and run to Ottawa in 1912 - 1914 then CNR in 1923. The tracks were removed in the early 1990's. .
Remnants of old mill at Camden East. Many burned down, some had their mortar turn to sand. There was a carriage shop (manufacturer) on this side of the river where I am standing, and a woolen mill beside the dam on the far side and a flour mill to the right of it in 1878.
Former Chaffey's Locks train tool shed on the Cataraqui Trail. This Canadian Northern Railway bed was built in 1914. Check the picture 1 km west of here where it says road  for a major rail causeway and some history. You may need to zoom in a bit more to see it.
View from inside the cave by the Cataraqui Trail. The little concrete bridge was built by the Canadian Northern Railway about 1910, they went bankrupt in 1918, were taken over by CNR in 1923.
Looking down Millhaven Creek at the dam. This is the view from the Cataraqui Hiking Trail built on the old Canadian Northern Railway bed.
Novel architecture for this area.
Cataraqui Trail along Sydenham Lake after a January thaw. Looking east. This is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
Ice fishing huts on Eel Bay. Seen from the Cataraqui Trail, formerly the Canadian Northern Railway built in 1912.
Cataraqui Trail intersection looking east. This section was built by the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) in 1884, leased to the Bay of Quinte Railway, (BQR) in 1891, (east to Yarker only) then it was sold to the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910, they went bankrupt, CNR took over in 1923 and gave it up in 1984.. This is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
Camden East was founded in 1818 for it's water power and was called Clarks Mills. Fires destroyed the first 3 wood frame mills here. Later a stone one burned. Poor quality mortar had also turned to sand and washed away long ago. It was called Camden East after 1866. It once had many small manufacturers.
Cataraqui Trail, a former Canadian Northern railway (CNoR) bed, now a hiking and snow mobile trail. Built in 1912. All the rock drilling, blasting, mucking, hauling and dumping was done with manual labour and horses. The tracks were removed in the early 1990's. They ran from Toronto to Ottawa and on to Montreal.
Cataraqui Trail using the old Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) bed. It was originally built by the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR) about 1893 from Harrowsmith to Sydenham to ship out the mica that was barged down Sydenham lake to a dock behind the IGA store. The train station was at the location of the present beer store. It was acquired by CNoR in 1910, CNR in 1923, then became CN. The rails were removed in the early 1990's by CN.
Railway bridge at Chaffey's Locks was built for the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1912 from Toronto to Ottawa now serves the Cataraqui hiking and recreation trail. Tracks were removed in the early 1990's. The construction of this bridge and a near by causeway were well documented in photographs. The steel section was lifted into place with a huge rented railway crane.
Ice fishing on thin ice. Mica used to be mined near these houses and in other locations near here. It was barged to Sydenham where the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR) extended it's line in 1893 from Napanee and Harrowsmith to pick it up. Their former train station was located at the present beer store, the dock for mica and lumber was behind the IGA store. The Canadian Northern Railway extended this rail to Ottawa in 1912.
Reflecting on a January thaw. Looking west.
Park benches along the Cataraqui Trail are always welcome. This is the former Canadian Northern Railway from Toronto to Ottawa and on to Montreal. It was built in 1912 (recent for rails) and the tracks were removed in the early 1990's. It is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
Cataraqui Trail, former Canadian Northern Railway bed (CNoR). This causway is about 45 m. wide at the base and 20 m. high. Built in 1912 using only muscle power to drill, blast, haul and dump the rock. No steam power was used. A huge wooden trestle was first built, to help move the rock to be dumped. The trestle was left burried. The tracks down the face of the bed are from beaver cutting saplings at the top of the ridge.
Now the Cataraqi Trail, looking north east. Formerly the Canadian Northern Railway built in 1912, torn up 1990's and intersected the former Bedford Road here.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (127)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service