Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
Panoramio is closing.
Learn how to back up your data
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
K&P / Rideau trail goes under the 401 highway. This is the original route for the Kingston and Pembrook Railway (K&P) built in 1872, later the 401 highway was built over it, and the railway closed in 1986. This tunnel was built in October 2005 when the highway was widened to 6 lanes.
New foot bridge for the K&P Trail across Milhaven Creek. This section of the trail was built by the City of Kingston, north to the Orser Road. This bridge replaced the original one for the Kingston and Pembrook Railway built about 1884, and abandoned in 1986.
The Cataraqui Trail and Rideau Trail share this section of the old Kingston &Pembroke Railway built in 1876. There is parking at many of the road intersections. Early April.
This is the start of the K&P Trail built on the Kingston and Pembroke Railway bed. The K&P went from Kingston City Hall in 1875 to Godfrey, and only reached Renfrew in 1885, but it kept it's name, K&P. The tracks were purchased by the CPR in 1901, and the the last of the tracks were lifted in 1986. This part of the trail is just an access arm to the railway bed. The free public parking lot is at the west end of Dalton Avenue, easy to find.
A small break in the K&P trail, giving public access again.
It is easy to forget that noisy polluting steam engines once chuged along this trail over 135 years ago. Looking east.
The K&P rail bed on the left is grown over, the CN rail bed on the right is now the Cataraqui Trail. The two railways merged near Harrowsmith and shared the same station on the west side of County Road # 38. It is gone now.
The K&P all purpose trail on the old K&P railway bed which was built in 1875 and abandoned in 1986. Looking north in 2013. The signs at most entrances indicated that it is public land, but no maintenance is done. The trail was upgraded in 2014 at a cost of $30,000 / km.
View from the tunnel under the 401 highway. This tunnel was built in October 2005 after the rail use had ended and the highway was widened to 6 lanes. The trail was the K&P railway, construction began on it in 1872 and only got as far as Renfrew, another railway joined Renfrew to Pembroke. It was closed in stages starting in 1961, and finished in 1986.
Former Kingston and Pembroke railway bed now used for K&P hiking trail. The K&P Railway never got to Pembroke, it ended in Renfrew. It was incorporated in 1871 and had 180 km. of tracks by 1884. Sections were abandoned in the 1950's and the last section operated in 1986. Their main revenue was from logging, when the logs were done, so was their justification. Many steep hills and curves limited loads to 500 to 600 tons.
This may be a gentle 5% grade for hikers on the K&P hiking trail, but it was a lot of work for heavy locomotives 100 years ago. It limited loads to about 500 tons. In 1884 the K&P had 105 miles of tracks to Renfrew, 19 miles sidings, 9 engines, 5 passenger cars, 4 baggage and mail cars, 15 box cars, and 180 flat cars. It had a capital value of $3,536,000 and a net earnings of $22,406. There were 26 stations averaging 4 miles apart. It took 7.5 hrs. end to end.
On New Years Eve day 1884, the first K&P train load of 80 passengers left Renfrew for lunch at the British America Hotel in Kingston rode over this bridge. A wheel on the coal tender broke at this bridge, chewing up the ties. The passengers were rescued with a Grand Trunk train located at the GT station, and were taken to Kingston for lunch, before returning home. This bridge was rebuilt by CPR who owned it in 1927.
This little bridge was built in 1927 by CPR who leased the K&P railway in 1913 for 999 years. The original bridge and tracks were built in 1875.
There is a lot of empty unused land in the city. Looking south from the K&P Trail.
Entrance to the K&P trail to Kingston, there is a short jog in the trail to join the Cataraqui Trail here. The two trails are merged from here to just north west of Harrowsmith.
The K&P all purpose trail on the old K&P railway bed. Looking north at Godfrey. The railway construction started in Kingston in 1872 and reached here in 1875. It was known as Iron Junction then. The last mixed train was 1960, the last through freight train was 1961 and the rail was abandoned in 1986.
KP trail follows old railway road bed.
Old steel bridge on the Mississippi River. There is a public boat launching ramp here too. The Kingston and Pembrooke Railway passed through here about 1877. The K&P hiking trail now uses that old rail bed right here.
A stone railway culvert on the K&P trail, built in 1875. Strong enough for locomotives. They used only stone in 1875, and only concrete in 1925, this may have been repaired.
The original K&P tracks went straight ahead, the trail turns right, while facing east.
A marsh between the K&P trail and the 401 highway. Looking east
Entrance to the Cataraqui trail built on the the old K&P and CN rail beds. The two railways crossed here, they ran side by side for 2 km. east of here. The large sign is about the K&P railway, it went north from Kingston in 1875. The Bay of Quinte reached Harrowsmith in 1891 from Deseronto, and to Sydenham from here in 1893. The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) took over the BQR and extended it from Sydenham to Ottawa in 1912. It was taken over by CNR in 1923 and was shut down in 1984.
The K&P all purpose trail on the old K&P railway bed. Looking south. The trains crossed the highway here, or was it the highway that crossed the tracks?
Old K&P railway bridge built in 1875, and the original highway # 38 road bridge, one lane wide. The current highway # 38 is about 50 m. to the west of here. It was like finding some long lost Mayan ruins it the jungle of Mexico.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Depot Creek Reserve
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (140)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service