Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
This beautiful stone bridge built in 1891 for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) when the line became double tracked in 1903. The original line from Montreal reached Kingston in 1855. The GTR went bankrupt in 1923, and CNR took over, it was a government owned railway. It now carries some of the heaviest rail traffic in Canada even yet, from Windsor to Quebec. On Little Creek Road.
The Bay of Quinte at Deseronto. A popular boating destination, and place to relax. The Canadian Northern Railway built in 1912 ran through this park and joined the Bay of Quinte Railway (1881) just to the left side of this picture at Prince and Fifth street. It was abandoned in 1986. There was a large industrial complex at the junction area owned by the Rathburns of Deseronto. It burned down.
Deseronto Town Hall.
Napanee Town Hall built 1856. Sir John A. McDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, gave his last political speech here in February 25 1891. This is near his boyhood home on the south shore of Hay Bay about 20 km. to the SW. Edward Horsey was the architect of this neo-classical town hall. The portico was added in 1928. He also designed the town hall on Wolfe Island and built a beautiful yellow brick mansion on King Street in Kingston near the Yacht Club.
Allan MacPherson House, now a museum open to the public. Built in 1826. It would have been heated with wood fires until at least 1871 when Pennsylvania coal became available. The walls were not insulated. It had a river near by for buckets of water washed off pastures upstream. Chamber pots and outhouses were standard. Hydro came along about 1900. Oil lamps and candles provided a little light in the evening. It was designated a heritage building in 1977.
Huff's Road boat launching ramp and park on Hayward Long Reach. The red barn on the far shore was the site of one of the greatest power boat races in the world in the late 1960's between the Canadian Supertest II with a Spitfire engine, and 3 American boats with Allison engines. The Supertest always won without ever using full throttle, and it is on display at the Ontario Science Centre.
Kaiser Lake Farms, one of the largest operations around.
The old Napanee Post Office, built in 1888 at a cost of $37,404. A very handsome structure. It used sandstone from Sunbury on the Rideau Canal across from Joyceville. It was retired from post office duties in 1969. It is remarkably like the post office in Arnprior which is now used as a museum. Both were made of sandstone, and the differences are trivial.
Little Creek and a big modern beef farm. The clay soils here are quite productive.
A quiet day at the boat launching ramp. Thousands of boats will be launched per day during the Walleye fishing derby in the spring. One of the largest fishing derbies in the world boasting up to 6,000 participants per day.
United Church, originall a Wesleyan Methodist church, built 1877 of local brick.
Napanee Train Station, still in use, but only 3 trains a day stop here. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway. The railway was originally called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) but was owned by GTR. Sir John A. McDonald would have used this station when he went to Napanee Town Hall to give his last political speach.
East Ward Public School built in 1872, now used as a warehouse.
Old house, needs paint.
Camden East was founded in 1818 for it's water power and was called Clarks Mills. Fires destroyed the first 3 wood frame mills here. Later a stone one burned. Poor quality mortar had also turned to sand and washed away long ago. It was called Camden East after 1866. It once had many small manufacturers.
United Church built in 1872 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The bricks were probably made at the Napanee Brick Works on the south side of the Napanee River, using local clay and slab wood from the logging industry to fire them.
A pumpkin patch on Little Creek Road, October.
Deseronto Post Office, a remarkable stone building for a post office.
Trinity United Church, built 1906.
Original mile stone dated 1837 when highway # 2 was a toll road. One side has K XVII meaning 17 miles to Kingston, the other side has N VI meaning 6 miles to Napanee.
One room school built 1897. Jubilee S.S. No. 15, meaning school # 15 in the Jubilee area, School sections generally drew children from a 2 mile radius. Now closed.
One of the biggest fields in eastern Ontario. Kaiser Lake Farms
Trinity United Church has a beautiful and distinctive style. Built in 1906.
Free Mason lodge # 9 celebrating 200 years. Founded in 1812.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Depot Creek Reserve
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (140)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service