Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
The old railway bed for the Brockville - Westport Railway (B&W) cross highway # 42 here ( almost parallel, on the right). Looking south east. Built in 1888, went bankrupt in 1903, sold to Americans, re-named the Brockville Westport and North Western Railway, sold to Canadian Northern Railway in 1910, they went broke, sold to CNR in 1923, closed in 1952. It was 45 miles 73 km. long.
Looking north east on the Cataraqui Trail, also known as the Trans-Ontario Provincial Touring Trail, formerly the Canadian Northern Railway, built in 1912 from Napanee to Ottawa. It crosses the Brockville - Westport Railway trail here. Maps and directions are clearly posted. It is only another 216 km. to Plevna. There was once a train station behind the tall sign.
Island cottages on Lower Beverly Lake in the winter. They are on the Three Sisters Islands. This view is from Railroad Street, which uses the old Brockville-Westport and Sault St.Marie Railway (B&W) right of way which was built in 1886 and closed in 1953. They had intended to go to Sault St.Marie, they got to Westport and quit.
You would never know that the Brockville & Westport Railway (B&W) that was built in 1886 and closed in 1953, passed through that clump of trees to the right of centre, and crossed the field and road where this picture was taken from. Looking west. It was purchased by CNoR in 1910 and CNR in 1923. You can see the rail path in the satellite view going west then swinging north. The railway bed also goes NE from here as it descends the escarpment.
Small bridge on the Brockville Westport and Sault St.Marie Railway ( BW& ST.SMR) line. Construction began in 1884, it only got to Westport, it was broke in 1903. It closed from Brockville to Lynn in 1925, and closed to Westport in 1953. It appears to have been rebuilt with a large pipe and some original stone for a retaining wall.
Bridge base for the former Brockville Westport and Sault St.Marie Railway 1888 to 1903 when it went broke and was taken over by an American company who re-named it the Brockville Westport and North Western Railway. The Canadian Northern Railway took over in 1910, it went broke and CN took over in 1923. It closed permanently in 1953. Note the heavy vertical timbers below the dock deck. The steel and upper deck are newer.
The Stationhouse Restaurant marks the end of the line of the former Brockville - Westport & Sault St. Marie Railway. This is not an original railway building, it has been painted yellow and is now under a new name. The motel behind it is still the Station House Motel. The train engines turned around behind here on a "Y" track to return to Brockville. There is more history on the historical marker on the right.
Looking east on the Brockville-Westport Railway line built in 1886, abandoned in 1953, now used as a snowmibile trail. This is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC). It intersects the Cataraqui Trail here. There was once a train station on the left.
The former Brockville- Westport Railway (B&W) built in 1886, now abandonded. It is now a hiking and snowmobile trail. It is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
The foundation for a spur line for the Brockville and Westport Railway (B&W) to serve the former saw mill in Lyn. It is about 30 m. to the east of the Lyn Valley Road. This creek has a considerable fall down this escarpment and provided a lot of water power to operate the local saw mill which produced large enough quantities of lumber to justify this spur line.
Looking south over the Brockville, Westport and Sault St.Marie railway bed, now a trail.
The Brockville Westport & Sault St. Marie Railway (BW&SSR) ran across this field starting in 1889, went into receivership in 1894. Sold for $160,000. Sold to CNoR, CNR, CN, abandoned in 1953. Looking SE.
This channel on the Rideau Canal contains the some of the hardest rock in the country. Hundreds of immigrant men died here trying to blast a way through here in 1832-1834. Work fell years behind schedule, eventually they raised Upper Rideau Lake a metre at the Rideau Narrows 7 km. north of here, rather than lower this channel. That is the abandoned Brockville & Westport Railway (B&W) bridge built in 1886.
The former Brockville-Westport Railway (B&W), built in 1886. It was taken over by the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910, then the Canadian National Railway (CN) in 1923. It is now a snowmobile trail, looking south. The trail is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
All that is left of the Brockville & Westport Railway (B&W) that was built in 1886 and closed in 1953. It was owned by CN when it closed and the land was sold to adjacent property owners. You can see the tracks heading SE then swing to the east. The railroad era has ended for local travel. All the tracks and spikes are gone, many rotting ties remain mostly burried.
Massive stone foundation built some time after 1889, for a proposed railway bridge for the Brockville and Westport Railway (B&W) to ship lumber to the US east coast and Europe. They intended to use 3 small islands for the base. This is as far as they got. It was a massive project and technically complicated beyond the resources available. Those are cormerant birds nesting in the dead trees.
This dock is built on the former bridge base of the Brockville & Westport and Sault St.Marie Railway. Note the heavy vertical timbers going straight down below the water line. They heavy steel frame and upper deck are newer. Built in 1888, operated by BW&NWR, CNoR, and CNR until it closed 1953. The line was only 45 miles, 73 km. long. Those rotted timbers held a locomotive unitl 62 years ago.
The Brockville Westport & Sault St. Marie Railway (BW&SSR) ran across this field starting in 1889, went into receivership in 1894. Sold for $160,000. Sold to CNoR, CNR, CN, abandoned in 1953. Looking NW
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Depot Creek Reserve
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (140)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service