Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
There is a big sandy beach at the Achray camp site. The great Canadian painter, Tom Thompson of the Group of Seven lived in the log cabin by the park office in 1916. Would he have incorporated this tree into one of his paintings? It would have been only a sapling then. Try your skills with your camera here. The fromer Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) ran by the park office, it is now a park road.
This beautiful stone bridge built in 1891 for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) when the line became double tracked in 1903. The original line from Montreal reached Kingston in 1855. The GTR went bankrupt in 1923, and CNR took over, it was a government owned railway. It now carries some of the heaviest rail traffic in Canada even yet, from Windsor to Quebec. On Little Creek Road.
Ernestown train station. The train will not stop for you here anymore. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR), but was called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) at that time. The GTR went bankrupt in 1923 and was taken over by CNR, a nationally owned railway. This station is identical to the one in Napanee. The original Gananoque station was identical to this, it was replaced in 1902.
This bridge was built as the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) from Montreal to Toronto, passing through Kingston in 1856, reaching here a year later. It was double tracked in 1903, went bankrupt in 1923 and became part of Canadian National Railway. It is one of the heaviest traveled lines in Canada. The Grand Trunk headquarters were in London England, it was managed from Montreal. It used Canada as a short cut from Portland Maine to Chicago.
Former railway bed, now the Millennium trail. Built by the Prince Edward County Railway (PEC) in 1879, sold to the Central Ontario Railway (COR) in 1881, purchased by the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1909, it went bankrupt in 1923 and was taken over by CNR who shut it down in 1995. Looking east. It connected Picton to Trenton, and served the former cannery industry in the area.
Former Canadian National Railway (CN) tracks. Connects to the Ottawa Central Railway (OCRR) a division of CN, about 300 m. east of here which is still in service.
Entrance to the Cataraqui trail built on the the old K&P and CN rail beds. The two railways crossed here, they ran side by side for 2 km. east of here. The large sign is about the K&P railway, it went north from Kingston in 1875. The Bay of Quinte reached Harrowsmith in 1891 from Deseronto, and to Sydenham from here in 1893. The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) took over the BQR and extended it from Sydenham to Ottawa in 1912. It was taken over by CNR in 1923 and was shut down in 1984.
The original Kingston Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) station built in 1855. It was destroyed by a fire many years ago, Canadian National Railway (CN) which owned it since 1923 wants to get rid of it. The City of Kingston and many citizens want it restored as a heritage building. The railway was ordered to fix up the building immediately under the property standards laws, CN replied that "immediately" was a vague term, several years ago. There is an impass.
Achray camp site set among tall pines. The road way in was the former Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) built about 1915, taken over by Canadian National Railway (CN) from Pembroke to Capreol near Sudbury. Abandoned in 1996 when lumber ran out in Algonquin P.P..
Napanee Train Station, still in use, but only 3 trains a day stop here. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway. The railway was originally called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) but was owned by GTR. Sir John A. McDonald would have used this station when he went to Napanee Town Hall to give his last political speach.
View from the original location of the Thousand Island Railway TIR station in 1884 at the junction with the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR). They had only 5 km. of tracks making it one of the shortest railways in the world. It was hazzardous being located on a curve, so it was relocated 1.7 k. east of here in 1902 on the GTR, now CNR. You can trace the original railway bed into Gananoque.
Millennium Trail on the former rail bed built by the Prince Edward County Railway (PEC) from Picton to Trenton in 1879, purchased by the Central Ontario Railway (COR) in 1881, the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1909. It went bankrupt in 1923 and was taken over by CNR who closed it in 1995. Looking south west.
Millennium Trail, looking west. Built by the Prince Edward County Railway (PEC) in 1879, shut down by CN in 1995.
Ther's a lot of history here. The stone bridge base on the lower right was built in 1893 by the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR) from Harrowsmith to Sydenham to pick up mica there. The road zigged up the hill to that stone foundation on the right, then crested under the present bridge. The middle bridge shown on the upper left, may date from 1910 when CNoR took over. The top bridge was built in 1965 by CN and closed in 1984. The road went straight up the hill from then on.
The K&P rail bed on the left is grown over, the CN rail bed on the right is now the Cataraqui Trail. The two railways merged near Harrowsmith and shared the same station on the west side of County Road # 38. It is gone now.
Former railway bed and bridge base (on left) built for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) in 1855 from Montreal to Toronto. It was called the Kingston and Montreal Railway then (K&MR), but was owned by GTR. Taken over by CNR in 1923 later called CN, and abandoned in 1958 when the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded much of the tracks in this area. The railway moved further inland.
The Belleville & North Hastings Railway bridge built in 1882 across the Moira Lake narrows. Known as the Madoc Subdivision. The section north of Madoc was abondoned in 1913, the rest south of Madoc was abandoned in 1984. It became part of the Canadian Northern Rw (CNoR) in 1912, Grand Trunk Rw (GTR) in 1917 and CNR in 1923
Kingston Mills is a quiet tranquil setting, then all of a sudden..... . This bridge serves CNR and VIA trains from Quebec City to Windsor. It was built as part of the Grand Trunk Railway, it reached from Montreal to Kingston in 1855, Sarnia 1857. It connected Portland Maine to Chicago in 1859, it became the largest railway in the world in 1867 with 2,055 km. tracks. This section was double tracked by 1903. The original bridge was open steel truss frame. It became part of CNR in 1923.
This bridge was built in 1960 for the 401 highway, by the CN railway, it is now abandoned. The rail line was originally the Napanee-Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) 1879. Bought by the Bay of Quinte Rw (BQR) which went from Deseronto, to Tamworth, Tweed and Bannockburn starting in 1881. The line was taken over by Canadian Northern Ry (CNoR) in 1910 and CNR in 1923.
Part of the 50 km. long Millennium all purpose trail. On the former Prince Edward County Railway (PEC), built in 1879, closed in 1995 by CNR. Looking north east. This line allowed the Esrock cement plant to ship cement by rail, a ship out iron ore from up north, by boat from their docks. Maintained by the Prince Edward County Trail Riders Snowmobile Club (PECTRSC) of Picton which maintains 220 km. of trails in the county.
Originally the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) built in 1913, taken over by Canadian National (CN) railway and VIA, now a park access and cottage road. It connected Pembroke and North Bay through Algonquin Provincial Park. It gave access to the timber wealth of Algonquin Park Freight service ended in 1994. Abandoned in 1996. The tracks were removed in 1997.
The bridge base on the left was probaby built in 1913 by The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) and the newest bridge built by CN in 1965. The line was abandoned in 1984. The Cataraqui Trail uses the 1965 bridge, it has a good hard surface for all modes of travel except cars. The trail goes from Strathcona near Napanee, to Smith Falls. This ridge is part of the ancient Canoe Lake Fault which is about 100 km. long and formed. It is believed to be more than 500 million years old.
Main CN tracks. Built by the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) from Montreal to Windsor, it past here in 1855 and was called the Kingston and Montreal Railway (K&MR) at that time. It was double tracked in 1903. GTR went bankrupt and was taken over by CNR in 1923, later called CN. This is one of the bussiest tracks in Canada.
Aultsville train station built for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) in 1855. It was moved here when the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded out it's original location in 1958. The original wood burning locomotives used about 4 cords of wood and a tank of water every 40 miles, then they were out of fuel. Passengers were expected to help load more wood which took a half hour, or wait longer. They cruised at about 30 to 50 kph.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Depot Creek Reserve
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (139)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service