Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
The Belleville & North Hastings Railway bridge built in 1882 across the Moira Lake narrows. Known as the Madoc Subdivision. The section north of Madoc was abondoned in 1913, the rest south of Madoc was abandoned in 1984. It became part of the Canadian Northern Rw (CNoR) in 1912, Grand Trunk Rw (GTR) in 1917 and CNR in 1923
Grand Trunk Railway's (GTR) Hanley station built in 1882, used by CN until 1929. Sleeping car service started in 1911. Sir John A. McDonald would have use it to get to Ottawa until 1891. Ontario Street was a dirty industrial district with shipbuilding and locotomtive works until 50 years ago. The GTR provided the first company pension in Canada in 1874. It started when you were age 70, the average life expectancy was 55. Today, 40 % of workers have pensions but many are underfunded and won't pay as promised.
The newer (1902) Gananoque train station was relocated here where the tracks are straight for a clear view. It used to be 1.7 km. west on a blind curve. The new station is now just an unmaned waiting room, and is similar to the old one built in 1871. Two trains a day stop here, useage is low. It originally had 5 km. of tracks, from down town Gananoque, to the Grand Trunk Railway station, later CNR. This was double tracked about 1906, looking east.
Main CN tracks. Built by the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) from Montreal to Windsor, it past here in 1855 and was called the Kingston and Montreal Railway (K&MR) at that time. It was double tracked in 1903. GTR went bankrupt and was taken over by CNR in 1923, later called CN. This is one of the bussiest tracks in Canada.
Aultsville train station built for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) in 1855. It was moved here when the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded out it's original location in 1958. The original wood burning locomotives used about 4 cords of wood and a tank of water every 40 miles, then they were out of fuel. Passengers were expected to help load more wood which took a half hour, or wait longer. They cruised at about 30 to 50 kph.
Old Grand Trunk Railway bed (GTR) built in 1854, later the CNR, stands out of the water after the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded the area in 1958. The train tracks were re-routed to the north onto higher land. Looking south.
Memory Junction train museum. This was originally a Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) train station, later a CNR station. (later called CN) The locomotive was built in Montreal in 1906 and weighs 110 tons, and had a tractive power of 40,000 lbs. It was retired in 1959 and brought here in 1997. Other locomotives can be found in Kingston (city hall), Haliburton, Gananoque, Upper Canada Village and Smith Falls.
Aultsville train station on the old Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) built in 1855. The locomotive is an E10a built in the Canadian Locomotive Works in Kingston in 1910. The train is on original tracks which were not flooded out by the St.Lawrence Seaway, but the station had to be moved. The original steam engins burned wood and had a top speed of 35 mph, or 60 kph.
This beautiful stone bridge built in 1891 for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) when the line became double tracked in 1903. The original line from Montreal reached Kingston in 1855. The GTR went bankrupt in 1923, and CNR took over, it was a government owned railway. It now carries some of the heaviest rail traffic in Canada even yet, from Windsor to Quebec. On Little Creek Road.
Kingston Mills is a quiet tranquil setting, then all of a sudden..... . This bridge serves CNR and VIA trains from Quebec City to Windsor. It was built as part of the Grand Trunk Railway, it reached from Montreal to Kingston in 1855, Sarnia 1857. It connected Portland Maine to Chicago in 1859, it became the largest railway in the world in 1867 with 2,055 km. tracks. This section was double tracked by 1903. The original bridge was open steel truss frame. It became part of CNR in 1923.
View from the original location of the Thousand Island Railway TIR station in 1884 at the junction with the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR). They had only 5 km. of tracks making it one of the shortest railways in the world. It was hazzardous being located on a curve, so it was relocated 1.7 k. east of here in 1902 on the GTR, now CNR. You can trace the original railway bed into Gananoque.
The original Kingston Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) station built in 1855. It was destroyed by a fire many years ago, Canadian National Railway (CN) which owned it since 1923 wants to get rid of it. The City of Kingston and many citizens want it restored as a heritage building. The railway was ordered to fix up the building immediately under the property standards laws, CN replied that "immediately" was a vague term, several years ago. There is an impass.
Waterfront hiking trail wanders for kilometers along much of the former Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) bed built in 1854. It was called the Kingston and Montreal Railway (K&MR) initially, but was owned by GTR. It became a CNR railway in 1923 and a hiking trail about 1965, after the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded much of the railway bed in this area. Looking north east.
The Brockville train station has been in service since 1855 on the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) and the CNR after 1923 between Montreal and Toronto. Trains from Ottawa to Toronto merge here with the ones from Montreal to Toronto. The Brockville & Ottawa Railway (B&O) built the line to Ottawa in 1859, it later merged with the Central Canada Railway (CCR) in 1878. This is actually the 3 rd. station in this general location. It has a beautiful mural of rail scenes on the far wall.
Old Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) bed, built in 1855, submerged by the St.Lawrence Seaway in 1958. Looking east. More can be seen under water in the satellite photo looking like a streak going off to the right. It appears that about 300 m. of railway bed material was used to build the road causeway. It was originally called the Kingston and Montreal Railway (K&MR), owned by GTR. It was double tracked in 1906, went bankrupt in 1918, taken over by CNR in 1923, later called CN.
Lansdowne celebrates it's rail history with a large mural of it's former Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) station built in 1905 replacing the original 1855 station. Similar murals can be found in Gananoque, Killaloe, Delta, Pembroke and Brockville. The original steam engines burned wood and had a top speed of 60 kph, cruised at half that, they had a range of 30 km. before needing more wood and water, that took a half hour to load. Passengers were expected to assist in loading more wood for fuel.
Napanee Train Station, still in use, but only 3 trains a day stop here. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway. The railway was originally called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) but was owned by GTR. Sir John A. McDonald would have used this station when he went to Napanee Town Hall to give his last political speach.
Ernestown train station. The train will not stop for you here anymore. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR), but was called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) at that time. The GTR went bankrupt in 1923 and was taken over by CNR, a nationally owned railway. This station is identical to the one in Napanee. The original Gananoque station was identical to this, it was replaced in 1902.
This bridge was built as the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) from Montreal to Toronto, passing through Kingston in 1856, reaching here a year later. It was double tracked in 1903, went bankrupt in 1923 and became part of Canadian National Railway. It is one of the heaviest traveled lines in Canada. The Grand Trunk headquarters were in London England, it was managed from Montreal. It used Canada as a short cut from Portland Maine to Chicago.
Former railway bed and bridge base (on left) built for the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) in 1855 from Montreal to Toronto. It was called the Kingston and Montreal Railway then (K&MR), but was owned by GTR. Taken over by CNR in 1923 later called CN, and abandoned in 1958 when the St.Lawrence Seaway flooded much of the tracks in this area. The railway moved further inland.
Waterfront trail built on the old Grand Trunk railway bed (GTR) built in 1854, taken over by CN in 1923 and turned into a trail in 1965 or so, after the St.Lawrence Seaway was built.
Built as a Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) train station in 1857, then became a CNR station, now a museum. There are several set of tracks here, the south ones are the CPR, the ones adjacent to the station and on the left are CN, and Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) were just to the north on Monck St, but are gone. This is one of 9 remaining GTR stations out of 32 built in 1857. Eighty five trains pass here daily.
Moulinette train station on the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR), built in 1856, move here in 1958 due to the seaway flooding. Part of the Lost Villages Museum. It did not have a ticket agent, it was just a waiting room, the conductor on the train sold the tickets. These were often called "flag stations" because you had to stand on the platform and flag the train to stop, or it would not stop.
This was originally a Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) bridge built in 1856, and replaced in 1890 with the stone structure when the line was double tracked. Double tracking was completed in 1903 from Toronto to Montreal. The bridge was extended a few years ago to tripple track it. It is now a CN track and used by VIA passenger trains. Looking north.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Depot Creek Reserve
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (140)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service